About This Chapter
Combinations & Permutations - Chapter Summary
High school students need to read and understand a great deal of information both before they graduate and as they move on in college or the professional world. This chapter provides students with focused training on developing their understanding of computations and permutations in algebra.
Instead of an endless chapter of information, the chapter has been divided into short, individualized lessons. Students have the option to review all of the lessons in order, but they can also pick and choose lesson topics in which they need the most assistance. The chapter menu provides a list of all lessons available, and since each lesson is only focused on a single topic, students can easily find what they need. After completing this chapter, students will be ready to:
- Define a permutation
- Use a formula to calculate a permutation
- Calculate the probability of given permutations
- Use a formula to solve math combinations
- Describe how combinations relate to Pascal's Triangle
1. Permutation: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine a mathematical method of calculating the number of ways in which we can order a group of distinct objects. This involves the use of a mathematical concept known as a permutation.
2. How to Calculate a Permutation
A permutation is a method used to calculate the total outcomes of a situation where order is important. In this lesson, John will use permutations to help him organize the cards in his poker hand and order a pizza.
3. How to Calculate the Probability of Permutations
In this lesson, you will learn how to calculate the probability of a permutation by analyzing a real-world example in which the order of the events does matter. We'll also review what a factorial is. We will then go over some examples for practice.
4. Math Combinations: Formula and Example Problems
Combinations are an arrangement of objects where order does not matter. In this lesson, the coach of the Wildcats basketball team uses combinations to help his team prepare for the upcoming season.
5. The Relationship Between Pascal's Triangle & Combinations
Pascal's triangle shows many important mathematical concepts like the counting numbers and the binomial coefficients. In this lesson, we'll show how Pascal's triangle is related to combinations.
6. Permutation & Combination: Problems & Practice
In this lesson, we will practice solving various permutation and combination problems using permutation and combination formulas. We can continue our practice when we take a quiz at the end of the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homeschool Curriculum course
- High School Algebra: Overview of Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems
- High School Algebra: Percent Notation
- High School Algebra: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions Review
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents Review
- High School Algebra: Exponent Properties & Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Square Roots Review
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions Overview
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions Review
- High School Algebra: Solving Algebraic Equations
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Inequalities Review
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations Review
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations Applications & Examples
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics & Chance
- Algebra I: Homeschool Assignments & Projects
- Homeschool Resources for High School Algebra