About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school algebra I work.
- Identify the decimals and fractions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school algebra I tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn decimals and fractions and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding decimal place value, operations using decimal notation, estimations with decimals, fraction ordering and comparing, fraction operations, number line usage or any other decimals and fractions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their decimals and fractions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school algebra I
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning decimals and fractions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live high school algebra I tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn decimals and fractions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define decimal place values.
- Learn how to compare and order decimals.
- Use decimal notation to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Understand how to add, subtract, multiply and divide decimals.
- Estimate decimals to solve math problems.
- Build and reduce fractions.
- Learn how to determine the least common denominator.
- Compare and order fractions.
- Switch between improper fraction and mixed number form.
- Add and subtract like fractions and mixed numbers.
- Add and subtract unlike fractions and mixed numbers.
- Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers.
- Solve estimation problems using fractions.
- Explain how to solve complex fractions.
- Compare decimals, fractions and whole numbers using the number line.
- Simplify word problems with fractions using whole numbers.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
3. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
4. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
5. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
6. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
7. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
8. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
9. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
10. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
11. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
12. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
13. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
14. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
15. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
16. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
17. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
18. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
19. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
20. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
21. Common Difference: Formula & Overview
The common difference is the difference between two numbers in an arithmetic sequence. Keep reading for a detailed definition, the formula for determining the common difference, and some example problems.
22. What Are Equivalent Decimals? - Definition & Examples
Equivalent decimals may look different, but in reality they are just a fancy way of naming the same amount! In this lesson, you will explore equivalent decimals and learn easy tricks to help you master the tools needed to identify and write these equal forms.
23. What Are Mixed Numbers? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will give the definition of mixed numbers and explain the purpose mixed numbers serve. It will also provide plenty of examples to ensure complete understanding of this concept.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Tutoring Solution course
- High School Algebra - Basic Arithmetic: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Solving Math Word Problems: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Percent Notation: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Real Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Exponents and Exponential Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Radical Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Algebraic Expressions and Equations: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Properties of Functions: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Matrices and Absolute Value: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Working With Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Properties of Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Algebraic Distribution: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Factoring: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Properties of Polynomial Functions: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Cubic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Measurement and Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Data, Statistics, and Probability: Tutoring Solution
- High School Algebra - Well-Known Equations: Tutoring Solution