About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school algebra I material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn high school algebra I. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding fraction notation or other aspects of factoring
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about factoring
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the factoring chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the factoring chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any factoring question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a factoring unit of a standard high school algebra I course. Topics covered include:
- Finding the prime factorization of a number
- Using prime factorizations to find the least common multiples
- Discovering equivalent expressions and simplifying fraction notation
- Factoring out variables
- Combining numbers and variables when factoring
1. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
2. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
3. Using Prime Factorizations to Find the Least Common Multiples
Finding the least common multiple can seem like a lot of work. But we can use prime factorization as a shortcut. Find out how and practice finding least common multiples in this lesson.
4. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
5. Using Fraction Notation: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
How do we add, subtract, multiply or divide with fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn how to use fraction notation correctly no matter what operation we're completing.
6. Factoring Out Variables: Instructions & Examples
Let's find the factors. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out numbers or variables from an expression. We'll even learn how to factor variables with exponents.
7. Combining Numbers and Variables When Factoring
With an expression, you know how to factor out a number, and you know how to factor out a variable. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out combined numbers and variables.
8. Transforming Factoring Into A Division Problem
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can factor a problem by turning it into a division problem. Learn how this actually helps you to factor and keep your numbers straight.
9. Factoring By Grouping: Steps, Verification & Examples
How do you factor an expression if all the terms don't share a common factor? Grouping! In this lesson, we'll learn how to use grouping to help factor expressions.
10. How to Factor a Perfect Cube: Formula & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how to factor sums and differences of perfect cube binomials. You will learn to use the formula that gives you the factors through a few examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Help and Review course
- High School Algebra - Basic Arithmetic: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Solving Math Word Problems: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Decimals and Fractions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Percent Notation: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Real Numbers: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Exponential Expressions & Exponents: Help & Review
- High School Algebra - Radical Expressions: Help and Review
- Algebraic Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Properties of Functions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Working With Inequalities: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Properties of Exponents: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Algebraic Distribution: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Factoring & Graphing Quadratic Equations: Help & Review
- The Properties of Polynomial Functions: Help & Review
- High School Algebra - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Cubic Equations: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Measurement and Geometry: Help and Review
- Ratios, Proportions & Percent in Algebra: Help & Review
- Statistics, Probability and Data in Algebra: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Well-Known Equations: Help and Review