About This Chapter
Basic Arithmetic - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
During this chapter, our instructors will teach you the basic operations used when performing arithmetic. These videos will show you how these operations interact with each other as well as the proper order in which you complete these operations during calculation. Concepts covered in this chapter include how to:
- Perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Identify the different parts found on a graph
- Find the least common multiple and greatest common factor
- Use parenthesis to emphasize an operation
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide signed numbers
|Using the Number Line||Describe the number line using negative numbers, zero and positive numbers.|
|Binary and Non-Binary Operations||Compare and contrast binary and non-binary operations.|
|How to Perform Addition: Steps and Examples||Explain how to perform whole-number addition with examples.|
|How to Perform Subtraction: Steps and Examples||Explain how to perform whole-number subtraction with examples.|
|How to Add and Subtract Signed Numbers: Steps and Examples||Explain how to add and subtract signed numbers with examples.|
|How to Perform Multiplication: Steps and Examples||Explain how to perform whole-number multiplication with examples.|
|How to Perform Division: Steps and Examples||Explain how to perform whole-number division with examples.|
|How to Multiply and Divide Signed Numbers: Steps and Examples||Explain how to multiply and divide signed numbers with examples.|
|The Commutative Property||Discuss how to reorder operations using the communicative property.|
|The Associative Property||Discuss how to associate expressions using the associative property.|
|The Multiplication Property of Zero||Explain how the multiplication property of zero works.|
|How to Find the Greatest Common Factor||Learn how to determine the greatest common factor.|
|How to Find the Least Common Multiple||Learn how to determine the least common multiple.|
|What are the Different Parts of a Graph?||Learn the basics of graphing: quadrants, axis, ordered pair, origin, intercepts.|
|Understanding Parentheses in Math||Explain the various ways parentheses are used to emphasize an operation in math, including indicating multiplication and as grouping symbols.|
|Algebra Vocabulary Terms||Provide an overview of basic algebra vocabulary terms including variables, constants and coefficients.|
|What are the Order of Operations?||Explain how to solve math problems according to the order of operations. Understand the mnemonic device PEMDAS or 'Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.'|
1. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
2. Binary and Non-Binary Operations
Binary and non-binary are two terms that might really scare you, much like an operation may scare you. But don't worry, this lesson is super fun and super easy. You'll learn the definitions of these terms and see examples of each.
3. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
4. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
5. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
6. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
7. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
8. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
9. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
10. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
11. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
12. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
13. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
14. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
15. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
16. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
17. Algebra Vocabulary Terms
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic vocabulary words that you will come across again and again in the course of your studies in algebra. After you finish this video, you should know and be able to identify each term.
18. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Remedial Algebra I course
- High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems
- High School Algebra: Decimals and Fractions
- High School Algebra: Percent Notation
- High School Algebra: Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Cubic Equations
- High School Algebra: Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Measurement and Geometry
- High School Algebra: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- High School Algebra: Well-Known Equations