About This Chapter
High School Algebra I: Percent Notation - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Percent notation requires an understanding of percents, decimals and fractions. After you study the lessons in this chapter, you'll come to understand how those elements work together. Experts in the field explain each subject and use examples that help to clarify the lesson's concepts. By the end of this chapter, you'll have learned how to write percentages in decimal form and as a fraction. Each bite-sized lesson tackles a single concept to help you retain the information better. This chapter is designed to teach you to:
- Identify a percent
- Convert percent notation to fraction notation
- Convert percent notation to decimal notation
- Change between decimals and percents
- Change between decimals and fractions
- Convert fractional notation to percent notation
|What is a Percent? - Definition and Examples||Learn the definition of a percent|
|Converting to Decimal Notation||Understand how to convert from percent notation to decimal notation|
|Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation||Find out how to convert from percent notation to fraction notation|
|Changing Between Decimals and Percents||Learn how to convert from decimal notation to percent notation|
|Changing Between Decimals and Fractions||Know how to convert from decimal notation to percent notation|
|Converting Fractional Notation to Percent Notation||Understand how to convert from fraction notation to percent notation|
1. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
2. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Knowing how to convert a percent to a decimal can be a useful skill in many different situations. This lesson will show you how to perform that conversion and places where this skill will be helpful.
3. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
The process of converting percents to fractions is quite easy if you know where to start. This lesson will show you how to perform the conversion and give some real-world examples.
4. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
5. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
6. Converting Fractions to Percents
There are times when it is important to know how to convert a fraction to a percent. Fortunately, the steps to perform this conversion are not difficult. This lesson will show you those steps and give some examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I: High School course
- High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems
- High School Algebra: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- High School Algebra: Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Teacher Resources for High School Algebra