About This Chapter
Quadratic Equations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In this chapter, our instructor will help you to understand the definition of the quadratic equation and related terms. You will encounter lessons that teach you how to apply the quadratic equation to concepts in real life and when solving algebra programs. This chapter can help you understand the following:
- Show how the quadratic equation can end up with two different answers
- Use the multiplication property of zero and greatest common factor to solve quadratic equations
- Apply the quadratic formula to answer quadratic equations
- Solve non-standard quadratics
- Factor into two binominals to solve inequalities
|What is a Quadratic Equation?||Define what a quadratic equation is and why they are important to algebra and real life.|
|How to Square Up Quadratics||Demonstrate how and why quadratic equations can result in two different solutions.|
|Solving Quadratics by Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero||Explain how to assign the GCF and MPZ to solve quadratic equations.|
|How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation||Learn how to use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations.|
|How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form||Learn how to solve quadratics that aren't written in standard form.|
|Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binominals||Solving inequalities via factoring into two binominals.|
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero
When it comes to solving quadratics, we have at our disposal several methods. Watch this video lesson to learn one such method you can use to solve quadratics that don't have a constant term.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
5. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I: High School course
- High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems
- High School Algebra: Percent Notation
- High School Algebra: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- High School Algebra: Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Teacher Resources for High School Algebra