About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your radical expressions homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your radical expressions homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Finding the square root of a number
- Estimating and simplifying square roots
- Identifying radicands and radical expressions
- Examining square roots of perfect squares
- Rationalizing the denominator of a radical expression
- Applying the product rule to radical expressions
- Multiplying and dividing radical expressions
- Using radical notation to add and subtract
- Multiplying radical expressions with more than one term
- Solving radical equations
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Estimating Square Roots
Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The square root is the inverse of the squared (or multiplying a number by itself) operation. There is an easy method for estimating the square root of a number, which you will learn in this lesson.
3. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
4. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
5. Radicands and Radical Expressions
It's easy to see that funky radical symbol and panic just a little bit. There are so many rules that go along with it, it's hard to keep up with them all. This lesson will help by describing what you should do when you are faced with a square root.
6. Evaluating Square Roots of Perfect Squares
Squares and square roots are inverse, or opposite, operations involving radicals. Learn how to determine the square root of perfect squares in this lesson.
7. Factoring Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to apply the product rule to your radical expressions. Learn how this product rule actually helps you to simplify your radicals as well.
8. Simplifying Square Roots of Powers in Radical Expressions
Simplifying radical expressions that contain powers can be tricky. There are a few simple rules that will help you perform these simplifications with ease. This lesson will teach you how.
9. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
10. Dividing Radical Expressions
When dividing radical expressions, we use the quotient rule. This lesson will describe the quotient rule and how to use it to solve these radical expressions.
11. Simplify Square Roots of Quotients
The quotient rule can be used to simplify square roots of quotients. This lesson will define the quotient rule and show you how it is used to simplify square roots.
12. Rationalizing Denominators in Radical Expressions
Radical expressions containing denominators are not simplified completely unless the denominator is free of radical symbols. This lesson will teach you how to remove a radical from the denominator of a fraction through a process called rationalizing the denominator.
13. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
14. Multiplying Radical Expressions with Two or More Terms
Multiplying radical expressions with more than two terms can be confusing. This lesson will take some of the confusion away by giving clear steps for multiplying these expressions. It will also provide some examples to help solidify the steps.
15. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
16. Solving Radical Equations with Two Radical Terms
Solving equations with two radical terms takes some patience and care, but it really is not difficult. This lesson will show you the steps to solve these more complicated equations plus give you some examples to follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homework Help Resource course
- High School Algebra - Basic Arithmetic: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Solving Math Word Problems: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Decimals and Fractions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Percent Notation: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Real Numbers: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- High School Algebra - Properties of Functions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Matrices and Absolute Value: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Working With Inequalities: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Properties of Exponents: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Algebraic Distribution: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Linear Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Factoring: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Graph & Factor Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Polynomial Functions & Their Properties
- High School Algebra - Rational Expressions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Cubic Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Quadratic Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Measurement and Geometry: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Percent, Proportions & Ratios
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Probability, Data & Statistics
- High School Algebra - Well-Known Equations: Homework Help