About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your rational expressions homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your rational expressions homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Multiplying and dividing rational expressions
- Adding and subtracting rational expressions
- Solving rational equations
- Dividing rational expressions and finding reciprocals
- Defining and simplifying complex rational expressions
- Solving equations of direct or inverse variation
1. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
2. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions: Practice Problems
Let's continue looking at multiplying and dividing rational polynomials. In this lesson, we will look at a couple longer problems, while giving you some practice multiplying and dividing.
3. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
4. Practice Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions can feel daunting, especially when trying to find a common denominator. Let me show you the process I like to use. I think it will make adding and subtracting rational expressions more enjoyable!
5. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
6. Rational Equations: Practice Problems
Mario and Bill own a local carwash and have several complex tasks that they must use rational equations to solve for an answer. Enjoy learning how they solve these equations to help them with some of their day-to-day tasks.
7. Division and Reciprocals of Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do when dividing radical expressions. Learn what you need to look out for before you divide and why you can't leave your radical in your denominator.
8. Simplifying Complex Rational Expressions
When it comes to fractions, things may seem to get really complicated and scary when you have a fraction on top of a fraction. But never fear, after watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify these expressions like a pro.
9. Solving Equations of Direct Variation
In the real world, we come across a lot of problems that vary directly with each other. You will learn how to solve these types of direct variation problems in this video lesson.
10. Solving Equations of Inverse Variation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify problems where you can use the formula for inverse variation to solve them. Learn what is involved and how easy they are to solve.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homework Help Resource course
- High School Algebra - Basic Arithmetic: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Solving Math Word Problems: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Decimals and Fractions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Percent Notation: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Real Numbers: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra - Radical Expressions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- High School Algebra - Properties of Functions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Matrices and Absolute Value: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Working With Inequalities: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Properties of Exponents: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Algebraic Distribution: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Linear Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Factoring: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Graph & Factor Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Polynomial Functions & Their Properties
- High School Algebra - Cubic Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Quadratic Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Measurement and Geometry: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Percent, Proportions & Ratios
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Probability, Data & Statistics
- High School Algebra - Well-Known Equations: Homework Help