About This Chapter
High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
If the dreaded word problem is the only thing standing between you and homework freedom, check out the lessons included in this chapter. Over the course of a few short videos, experienced instructors outline techniques you can use to improve your understanding of what's being asked and visualize the type of equation needed to find the solution. There are even multiple-choice quizzes attached to the end of each lesson, so you can put these strategies to the test and confirm your understanding of each lesson's main ideas. By the time you reach the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with the following:
- Processes involved in solving single- and multi-step word problems
- Methods for gathering and visualizing your thoughts
- Tips for rephrasing word problems
|Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples||Master the step-by-step approach used to solve word problems. Get practice applying these procedures to a sample problem.|
|Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps||Find out how to break down multi-step word problems and solve them one step at a time.|
|Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images||Learn why creating drawings, notes and diagrams can help you tackle word problems.|
|Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding||Explore the benefits of relating word problems to situations you might encounter in your own life.|
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
4. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I: High School course
- High School Algebra: Percent Notation
- High School Algebra: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- High School Algebra: Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Teacher Resources for High School Algebra