About This Chapter
High School English: Media & Art Analysis - Chapter Summary
The ability to analyze media and art is a useful skill for students at any grade level. The lessons in this chapter simplify the process by providing students with an in-depth look at strategies used to understand visual media, performance art and other art forms. Lessons are accompanied by short quizzes students can take to gauge their understanding of media and art analysis. Upon completion of this chapter, students will be ready to:
- Interpret photography, sculptures, paintings and other visual media
- Find the thesis, narrative and meaning of performance art
- Write about literature and other art forms
1. Finding Meaning in Visual Media: Strategies & Examples
You know how to read a book. But do you know how to 'read' a painting? In this lesson, you'll get some strategies for interpreting visual media like painting, sculpture, and photography.
2. Understanding Performance Art: Finding the Thesis, Narrative & Meaning
Learn how to 'read' a performance the same way you would read a book or story. In this lesson, we'll discuss strategies for identifying thesis, narrative, and meaning in the performing arts.
3. How to Write in Response to Other Art Forms
In this lesson, we'll look at the similarities and differences between writing about literature and writing about other art forms. We'll consider some of the qualities of good responses and some approaches to take when writing a response.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 12th Grade English: High School course
- High School English: Reading Skills
- 12th Grade English: Literary Text Analysis
- 12th Grade English: Literary Terms & Devices
- Short Story Elements: House of Usher & Story of an Hour
- Novel Exemplars: Canterbury Tales, Wuthering Heights & Frankenstein
- Drama Characteristics: Hamlet & The Glass Menagerie
- Understanding & Analyzing Poetry
- Nonfiction Text Analysis
- High School English: Word Choice & Tone
- 12th Grade English: The Writing Process
- 12th Grade English: Argumentative Reading & Writing
- 12th Grade English: Informative & Technical Writing
- High School English: Narrative Writing
- 12th Grade English: Research Skills
- High School English: Speaking & Listening Skills