About This Chapter
HiSET: Between the World Wars (1919-1939) - Chapter Summary
The videos in this chapter discuss the period between WWI and WWII to help you get ready for the history portion of the Social Studies HiSET. As you work through this chapter, you will learn about:
- The spread of democracy in the first part of the twentieth century
- The collapse of the Weimar Republic
- Causes and impact of the Great Depression
- Mussolini and the rise of Italian fascism
- Stalin's reign in the Soviet Union
- The Third Reich in Germany
Video transcripts help you locate key terms and skim lesson topics. Each lesson also offers a short quiz so you can test your knowledge of the presented information. If you get stuck, you can reach out to our instructors for assistance.
Objectives of the HiSET: Between the World Wars (1919-1939) Chapter
The Social Studies HiSET contains 50 questions classified in four content domains: history, civics and government, economics, and geography. History questions make up 38% of this high school equivalency exam, and the lessons in this chapter cover some of the history topics you can expect to encounter while working through the test. You will have 70 minutes to complete all 50 tasks.
The lesson quizzes in this chapter are presented in multiple-choice format, mimicking the style of real HiSET questions. Use them to practice completing HiSET-style tasks before taking the real thing.
1. Gains of Global Democracy After 1919: History & Summary
In this lesson we briefly discuss the end of WWI and explore the proliferation of new states that occurred with the collapse of several central and eastern European empires.
2. The Weimar Republic: Strengths, Weaknesses & Collapse
In this lesson, we explore the Weimar Republic, the democratic government which governed Germany in between World War I and the rise of the Nazi party and Adolf Hitler.
3. Resistance in Turkey and India Between World Wars
In this lesson, we explore the resistance movements to western colonialism in both Turkey and India. Though both experienced colonialism via extremely different circumstances, both exhibited nationalist movements that opposed foreign rule.
4. Interwar Conflict in Asia Between World Wars: History & Response
In this lesson, we discuss Japan and China and the disparate fortunes of the two nations during the interwar period, including Japanese military aggression toward China.
5. The Rise of Benito Mussolini and Italian Fascism: Facts & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the rise of fascism in interwar Italy, as led by Il Duce, Benito Mussolini. Mussolini's oppressive, totalitarian regime fell during WWII.
6. The Soviet Union Under Stalin: Five-Year Plans, Purges & Policies
In this lesson, we explore the brutal rule of Joseph Stalin in the Soviet Union, from 1928 to 1953. Stalin radically transformed the economy of the Soviet Union, while also terrorizing its people.
7. Hitler's Third Reich: Rise to Power, History & Collapse
In this lesson, we explore the rise of Hitler's Third Reich, its domination of German society in the 1930s, and the world war it began which eventually led to its downfall.
8. The Spanish Civil War & the Influence of Foreign Powers: Definition, Summary & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the Spanish Civil War that broke out between nationalists and socialists in Spain in the 1930s. In the aftermath, General Francisco Franco instituted a fascist dictatorship.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HiSET Social Studies: Prep and Practice course
- HiSET: Early American History (28,000 BCE-1821 CE)
- HiSET: Early American Colonies (1497-1732)
- HiSET: The Road to Revolution (1700-1774)
- HiSET: The American Revolution (1775-1783)
- HiSET: The Making of a New Nation (1776-1800)
- HiSET: The Virginia Dynasty (1801-1825)
- HiSET: Jacksonian Democracy (1825-1850)
- HiSET: Life in Antebellum America (1807-1861)
- HiSET: Manifest Destiny (1806-1855)
- HiSET: Sectional Crisis (1850-1861)
- HiSET: American Civil War (1861-1865)
- HiSET: Reconstruction (1865-1877)
- HiSET: Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- HiSET: The Progressive Era in America (1900-1917)
- HiSET: American Imperialism (1890-1919)
- HiSET: The Roaring 20s in the US (1920-1929)
- HiSET: The Great Depression in the US (1929-1940)
- HiSET: The US in World War ll (1941-1945)
- HiSET: The World After World War ll (1946-1959)
- HiSET: The Cold War (1950-1973)
- HiSET: Protests, Activism & Civil Disobedience in the US (1954-1973)
- HiSET: The 1970s in the US (1969-1979)
- HiSET: Rise of Political Conservatism in the US (1980-1992)
- HiSET: Contemporary America (1992-2013)
- HiSET: Prehistory
- HiSET: History of the Ancient Near East
- HiSET: History of Ancient Greece
- HiSET: Hellenism & the Athenian Achievement
- HiSET: Rise of the Roman Republic
- HiSET: Fall of the Roman Empire
- HiSET: The Dark Ages
- HiSET: The Medieval Warm Period
- HiSET: The Early Middle Ages
- HiSET: The High Middle Ages
- HiSET: The Late Middle Ages
- HiSET: The Renaissance
- HiSET: The Age of Exploration
- HiSET: The Reformation in Europe
- HiSET: The Elizabethan Era
- HiSET: Colonialism
- HiSET: Art & Science in the Colonial Era
- HiSET: Absolutism in Western Europe (1648-1715)
- HiSET: Power Shifts in Eastern Europe (1648-1740)
- HiSET: Empire and Expansion in the 18th Century (1700-1799)
- HiSET: Scientific Revolution & the Enlightenment (1500-1790)
- HiSET: French Revolution & Napoleon (1780-1815)
- HiSET: Industrialization in Europe (1700-1900)
- HiSET: Political Developments (1760-1848)
- HiSET: The Age of Nationalism (1850-1914)
- HiSET: European Life & Trends (1850-1914)
- HiSET: Imperialism in the 19th - 20th Centuries
- HiSET: World War I (1914-1919)
- HiSET: Europe & Asia in World War II
- HiSET: The Study of American Government
- HiSET: Federalism in the United States
- HiSET: American Political Culture, Opinion & Behavior
- HiSET: Civic Ideals & Citizenship
- HiSET: Civil Liberties in America
- HiSET: Political Parties in American Government
- HiSET: Scarcity, Choice & The Production Possibilities Curve
- HiSET: Measuring the Economy
- HiSET: Economic & Fiscal Policy of American Government
- HiSET: Labor & Consumer Issues
- HiSET: Modern Economic Systems
- HiSET: Introduction to Geography
- HiSET: Basic Facts & Concepts of the Earth
- HiSET: Geography & Farming
- HiSET: Economics & Geography
- HiSET: Political Geography
- HiSET: Settlement Patterns
- HiSET: Spatial Processes
- HiSET: The Geography of Languages, Religions & Material Culture
- HiSET Social Studies Flashcards