About This Chapter
HiSET Mathematics: Absolute Value Problems - Chapter Summary
Refresh your knowledge of absolute values with the lessons in this chapter as you prepare to take the HiSET Mathematics exam. The videos can strengthen your ability to solve various absolute value problems, including:
- Calculating a real number's absolute value
- Graphing an absolute value and performing transformations
- Graphing absolute value equations including dilations and reflections
After watching the videos, visual learners can take advantage of our transcripts as well. You will find highlighted terms, definitions and key processes to remember.
Objectives of the HiSET Mathematics: Absolute Value Problems Chapter
The HiSET math exam requires you to solve quantitative problems using the concepts in this chapter as well as your reasoning skills. Absolute value problems are found on the Numbers and Operations on Numbers portion of the exam.
All of the problems on this test are multiple-choice, so you can gain the experience you need by answering the multiple-choice quizzes and chapter test we have included.
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
3. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
4. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
5. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HiSET Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- HiSET Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Fractions
- HiSET Mathematics: Decimals and Percents
- HiSET Mathematics: Ratios and Proportions
- HiSET Mathematics: Vector Operations
- HiSET Mathematics: Matrices and Determinants
- HiSET Mathematics: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Imaginary and Complex Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Measurements and Conversions
- HiSET Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- HiSET Mathematics: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- HiSET Mathematics: Triangle Theorems and Proofs
- HiSET Mathematics: Parallel Lines and Polygons
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- HiSET Mathematics: Circular Arcs and Circles
- HiSET Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- HiSET Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- HiSET Mathematics: Sampling
- HiSET Mathematics: Regression and Correlation
- HiSET Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Linear Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Inequalities
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Polynomials
- HiSET Mathematics: Functions
- HiSET Mathematics Flashcards