About This Chapter
HiSET Mathematics: Fractions - Chapter Summary
Use the self-paced lessons in this chapter to learn how to solve problems with fractions easily and quickly. Each lesson includes an instructional video and concludes with a multiple-choice quiz that you can use to gauge your comprehension of the material as well as practice solving the types of questions you'll see on the HiSET Math exam, including:
- Building and reducing fractions
- Finding the least common denominator
- Changing improper fractions to mixed numbers and vice versa
- Adding and subtracting like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- Multiplying and dividing fractions and mixed numbers
These engaging videos are taught by subject-matter experts who use fun graphics and real-world examples to help teach these math concepts. The corresponding text transcripts allow you to quickly review key formulas.
Objectives of the HiSET Mathematics: Fractions Chapter
This exam assesses your mathematics knowledge to determine if you have the knowledge and skills equal to that of a high school graduate. The topics in this chapter on fractions may be found in the Numbers and Operations on Numbers section of the test, which makes up 19% of the test questions. All of the questions are multiple-choice and calculators are permitted.
1. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
2. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
3. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
4. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
5. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
6. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
7. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HiSET Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- HiSET Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Decimals and Percents
- HiSET Mathematics: Ratios and Proportions
- HiSET Mathematics: Vector Operations
- HiSET Mathematics: Matrices and Determinants
- HiSET Mathematics: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Absolute Value Problems
- HiSET Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Imaginary and Complex Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Measurements and Conversions
- HiSET Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- HiSET Mathematics: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- HiSET Mathematics: Triangle Theorems and Proofs
- HiSET Mathematics: Parallel Lines and Polygons
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- HiSET Mathematics: Circular Arcs and Circles
- HiSET Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- HiSET Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- HiSET Mathematics: Sampling
- HiSET Mathematics: Regression and Correlation
- HiSET Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Linear Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Inequalities
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Polynomials
- HiSET Mathematics: Functions
- HiSET Mathematics Flashcards