About This Chapter
HiSET Mathematics: Radical Expressions - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter teach you all you need to know about radical expressions for the HiSET math exam and also include an element of humor to keep your study time refreshing and fun. Discover how much you can recall about square roots and radical notation as well as the process of performing operations with radical expressions. After watching the videos, you will understand how to solve the following types of problems:
- Finding the square root of a number
- Simplifying square roots that are not a perfect square
- Factoring, multiplying and simplifying, and dividing radical expressions
- Rationalizing the denominators of radical expressions
- Using radical notation to add and subtract
Our lesson instructors include real-world examples that make the material relevant and down-to-earth. They are also available to clarify any points you are unclear about.
Objectives of the HiSET Mathematics: Radical Expressions Chapter
The HiSET measures your understanding of math procedures that demonstrate your readiness for college or a career path. Problems with radical expressions are found on the Numbers and Operations on Numbers part of the exam, which makes up 19% of the total test. The problems are all multiple-choice, requiring you to select one correct answer, and calculators are permitted.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
3. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
4. Factoring Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to apply the product rule to your radical expressions. Learn how this product rule actually helps you to simplify your radicals as well.
5. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
6. Dividing Radical Expressions
When dividing radical expressions, we use the quotient rule. This lesson will describe the quotient rule and how to use it to solve these radical expressions.
7. Rationalizing Denominators in Radical Expressions
Radical expressions containing denominators are not simplified completely unless the denominator is free of radical symbols. This lesson will teach you how to remove a radical from the denominator of a fraction through a process called rationalizing the denominator.
8. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HiSET Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- HiSET Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Fractions
- HiSET Mathematics: Decimals and Percents
- HiSET Mathematics: Ratios and Proportions
- HiSET Mathematics: Vector Operations
- HiSET Mathematics: Matrices and Determinants
- HiSET Mathematics: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Absolute Value Problems
- HiSET Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Imaginary and Complex Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Measurements and Conversions
- HiSET Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- HiSET Mathematics: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- HiSET Mathematics: Triangle Theorems and Proofs
- HiSET Mathematics: Parallel Lines and Polygons
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- HiSET Mathematics: Circular Arcs and Circles
- HiSET Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- HiSET Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- HiSET Mathematics: Sampling
- HiSET Mathematics: Regression and Correlation
- HiSET Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Linear Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Inequalities
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Polynomials
- HiSET Mathematics: Functions
- HiSET Mathematics Flashcards