About This Chapter
HiSET Mathematics: Vector Operations - Chapter Summary
Getting ready for the HiSET exam couldn't be easier with our convenient lessons on vector operations. Pull up our video lessons any time of day on your smartphone, tablet or laptop and turn downtime into a study session. You'll find out all about:
- Adding and subtracting vectors geometrically
- Calculating resultants of vectors
- How to use scalar multiplication of vectors
In addition to our videos, which are put together by subject-matter experts, you can read through the transcripts of each lesson and take a lesson quiz all in a short time. At the end of the chapter you can complete the final test to determine your comprehension of the subject and to see if you need to go back and refresh yourself on any topics. Video tags are available, as well, to help you go straight to the topic you are looking for without having to watch the video in its entirety.
Objectives of the HiSET Mathematics: Vector Operations Chapter
The HiSET Mathematics exam measures your mathematical understanding and skills with those of a high school graduate. Questions about vector operations are on the Numbers and Operations on Numbers portion of the exam, which makes up 19% of the whole exam.
All of the questions are multiple-choice so you will have to select the best answer from a list of possibilities. We have designed our multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter test to give you experience answering exam-type questions.
1. What Is a Vector? - Definition & Types
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what vectors are in physics, give some examples of vectors and have a basic idea of how they can be manipulated mathematically. A short quiz will follow.
2. Vector Addition (Geometric Approach): Explanation & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain why we might need to add two vectors and, given magnitudes and directions, add two vectors using geometric methods. A short quiz will follow.
3. Vector Subtraction (Geometric): Formula & Examples
After watching this lesson, you will be able to subtract vectors geometrically and give examples of how that process might be used in physics. A short quiz will follow.
4. Resultants of Vectors: Definition & Calculation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what a resultant of a vector is and use mathematics to calculate the resultant of two vectors. A short quiz will follow.
5. Scalar Multiplication of Vectors: Definition & Calculations
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what scalar multiplication is and complete basic calculations involving the scalar multiplication of vectors. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HiSET Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- HiSET Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Fractions
- HiSET Mathematics: Decimals and Percents
- HiSET Mathematics: Ratios and Proportions
- HiSET Mathematics: Matrices and Determinants
- HiSET Mathematics: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Absolute Value Problems
- HiSET Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Imaginary and Complex Numbers
- HiSET Mathematics: Measurements and Conversions
- HiSET Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- HiSET Mathematics: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- HiSET Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- HiSET Mathematics: Triangle Theorems and Proofs
- HiSET Mathematics: Parallel Lines and Polygons
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- HiSET Mathematics: Circular Arcs and Circles
- HiSET Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- HiSET Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability
- HiSET Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- HiSET Mathematics: Sampling
- HiSET Mathematics: Regression and Correlation
- HiSET Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- HiSET Mathematics: Linear Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Inequalities
- HiSET Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- HiSET Mathematics: Polynomials
- HiSET Mathematics: Functions
- HiSET Mathematics Flashcards