Ch 1: HiSET: Reading Comprehension

About This Chapter

Enhance your understanding of essays and learn to summarize text and use context clues as you prepare for the reading subtest of the HiSET. The video lessons and quizzes present a number of ideas and strategies to improve reading comprehension.

HiSET Reading Comprehension - Chapter Summary

Utilize the engaging chapter lessons to gain greater reading comprehension. The video lessons look at using visualization as a reading technique and word structure to help determine meaning among other concepts. Lessons in this chapter cover:

  • Getting the gist of an essay
  • Restating ideas
  • Context clues
  • Connotation
  • Tone and mood

This chapter contains quick lessons on ways to improve understanding and provides the opportunity to practice the ideas through quizzes and a chapter exam. Each of the important components for reading comprehension can easily be reviewed by using video tags or the timeline to return to those areas of the videos.

HiSET Reading Objectives

The HiSET is a high school equivalency exam that focuses on five key subjects, including the language arts topics of reading and writing. The reading subtest consists of a total of 40 multiple-choice questions. Our lessons on reading comprehension provide coverage of the kind of material you will see and our quizzes help you get familiar with the format of the exam questions.

The reading subtest of the HiSET features texts that may come from a variety of sources that include essays, poetry or memoirs: 60% of the exam focuses on literary texts and the other 40% on informational texts. The subtest examines the test taker's comprehension ability and uses text selections that vary from roughly 400 to 600 words.

7 Lessons in Chapter 1: HiSET: Reading Comprehension
Test your knowledge with a 30-question chapter practice test
Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension

1. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension

In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.

Reading Strategies Using Visualization

2. Reading Strategies Using Visualization

In this lesson, we will define visualization. We will then discuss why this step is important, how we can visualize, and when you should visualize. Finally, we will look at a sample from a poem and practice visualizing.

How to Restate an Idea and Summarize

3. How to Restate an Idea and Summarize

Understanding how to restate an idea and summarize the information you have read is an important reading skill. In this lesson, you'll learn how to rephrase the main points of an essay, argument, or reading passage into a clear summary.

Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure

4. Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure

In this lesson, you will learn how readers use prior knowledge, context clues and word structure to aid their understanding of what they read. Explore these strategies through examples from literature and everyday life.

How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words

5. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words

With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.

Tone vs. Mood: Interpreting Meaning In Prose

6. Tone vs. Mood: Interpreting Meaning In Prose

In this lesson, learn the difference between the tone and the mood of a piece of prose. Explore examples of how tone and mood are conveyed by authors through word choice and telling details.

What Are Connotation and Denotation? - Definitions & Examples

7. What Are Connotation and Denotation? - Definitions & Examples

Discover the difference between a word's denotation and its connotation in this lesson. Explore how authors use both denotation and connotation to add layers of meaning to their work with some literary examples.

Chapter Practice Exam
Test your knowledge of this chapter with a 30 question practice chapter exam.
Not Taken
Practice Final Exam
Test your knowledge of the entire course with a 50 question practice final exam.
Not Taken

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Support