About This Chapter
Historic Trends & Societal Impact of Healthcare- Chapter Summary
This chapter covers the trends and the impact healthcare has had on society. After these lessons, you'll be better prepared to discuss important healthcare information. Topics these lessons go over include:
- History of health care and the types of systems there are
- The benefits and consequences to universal health care
- The way the United States does health care
- Medicare vs. Medicaid
- The difference of healthcare in developing and developed countries
- How demographics, perspectives, attitudes and awareness influence health care
- Health care and culture
- National health care organizations such as the World Health Organization
- How technology impacts the future of health care
This chapter is a complete online study guide that allows you to work at any location, on your schedule, using any device that has Internet access. If you have any questions about the information you've reviewed, you may reach out to our experts for assistance.
1. The History of Health Care in the United States
The lesson will depict the history of the health care system in the United States and how it has evolved. It will address its various impacts on society as well.
2. Health Care Systems: Types & Concept
In this lesson, we will take a look at the different types of health care systems and how they affect the lives and well-being of communities around the world.
3. What Is Universal Health Care? - Definition, Pros and Cons
Did you know that there are over 45 million people in the United States who do not have health care? Learn more about universal health care, arguments that support universal health care, and arguments against it.
4. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
5. Economics and Health: Healthcare, Medical Issues & Income
What is the relationship between economy and health? In this lesson, we discuss differences in healthcare and medical issues in low-income versus high-income countries. We also define social epidemiology and discuss the link between poverty and poor health.
6. Medicare and Medicaid: Definitions & Functions
This lesson will teach and define what Medicare and Medicaid are, what they are for, what they provide, and for whom they were established for. We'll also cover the four main parts of Medicare.
7. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
8. Healthcare in Developing vs. Developed Countries
This lesson will discuss, in general terms, a conventional medicine healthcare system in developing countries compared to developed countries. Limited resources in developing countries impacts conventional medicine.
9. The Role of Demographics on Health: Global Perspective & Influences
This lesson will explain to you the many different factors that influence the likelihood or possibility of developing health related problems. Namely, we'll talk about the environment, the world at large, and things like income, gender, and ethnic background.
10. Health Care: Awareness, Attitudes, & Prevention
During late life, health issues can become both more common and more serious. But health can be impacted by a person's attitudes and behaviors. In this lesson, we'll explore how prevention and attitude can play a role in older people's health.
11. Cultural Differences in Health Care
Cultural differences can impact a healthcare provider's approach to care. Read this lesson to learn about characteristics of different cultures that require special consideration from healthcare providers.
12. National Health Care Organizations: Definition & Types
There are many national health care organizations hard at work to ensure the health and well-being of people in the United States. In this lesson, we will learn more about some of these organizations.
13. What is the World Health Organization? - Definition, History & Purpose
The World Health Organization is a group that focuses on global health issues. This lesson will cover its start at the United Nations, its purpose and progress so far, and its challenges in today's world.
14. Impact of Advances in Health Care Technology
From the rise of the personal computer to the use of surgical robotics, healthcare technology has changed dramatically. Read this lesson to learn more about how technological advances have made tremendous strides in terms of healthcare access, affordability, and overall patient care.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health Science 6-12 (273): Practice & Study Guide course
- Math Applications in Health Care Science
- Applying Academic Skills in Health Science
- Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols
- Forming Medical Terms
- Researching & Communicating Medical Terminology
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology of the Human Body
- Intro to Systems of Anatomy & Physiology
- Basic Stages of Human Development
- Reemerging Health Technologies
- Microorganisms & Human Health
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques
- Overview of Diseases & Pathogens
- Pathogenesis, Disease Prevention & Control
- Healthcare & the Aging Process
- Nutritional Information & Needs
- Issues & Disorders Related to Nutrition
- Therapeutic Concepts of Nutrition
- Pharmacology Concepts
- Mental Health Concepts
- Preventative Health Behaviors
- Skills & Role of a Health Care Worker
- Safety & Precautions for Health Care Workers
- Communication in Health Care
- Teamwork in the Workplace
- Career Planning in the Health Care Field
- Ethical Responsibilities of Health Care Workers
- TExES Health Science 6-12 Flashcards