About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding the historical and literary context of Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to study the book's author, genre, critical reception, vocabulary and much more. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the book's historical and literary context
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Historical & Literary Context of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Historical & Literary Context of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the historical and literary context of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Definition of a coming of age novel
- Maya Angelou's life, works, accomplishments and writing/poetry style
- The genre of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- The significance of the book's title
- The book's setting and time period
- Vocabulary words from I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- The differences between the book and the movie
- The book's reception, banned status and awards
1. Coming of Age Novel: Definition & Examples
Growing up is hard to do. In this lesson, we will take a look at coming of age novels, including how a boy named Holden fought teenage angst and a little girl named Scout dealt with racism in the South.
2. Who is Maya Angelou? - Biography, Books, Poetry & Accomplishments
In this lesson, we will look at a remarkable woman, Maya Angelou, and discuss her biography, some of her works, and her accomplishments. You will then be asked to take a short quiz to test your comprehension of the lesson.
3. Maya Angelou: Styles of Writing & Poetry
Maya Angelou was the author of some of the most important poetry and prose of the 20th century. Let's explore the author's writing style in these two forms of writing.
4. Genre of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Maya Angelou's work ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'' is still relevant today. Angelou blends the genre of autobiography with literary fiction, creating a piece which connects her life to those of so many African Americans.
5. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Title Meaning
Sometimes, a cage doesn't have literal bars. That's part of the message behind Maya Angelou's book titled, 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.' In this lesson, we'll explore the meaning of the title itself.
6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Setting & Time Period
Maya Angelou mainly grew up in a small town in the South in the 1930s and 1940s, but she also experienced life in the city. In this lesson, we'll discuss the setting of Maya Angelou's autobiography ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings''.
7. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Vocabulary Words
''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'' by Maya Angelou is a memoir that explores identity, race, and womanhood. It was Angelou's debut memoir and was published in 1969. In this lesson, we will look at some important vocabulary words from the book.
8. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Book Awards
'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' is one of the most influential autobiographies written in the second half of the 20th century. Maya Angelou's work drew the focus of organizations and the general public as well.
9. Why is I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Banned?
What could possibly get you banned from a school classroom or library? In this lesson, we'll explore the reasons that Maya Angelou's book, 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,' ranks among the most frequently banned.
10. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: Movie vs. Book
'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' is a novel about author Maya Angelou's childhood in Stamps, Arkansas prior to the civil rights movement. In this lesson, we will discuss how the novel differs from the movie adaptation directed by Fielder Cook.
11. Reception of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Maya Angelou's novel ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'' tells her story about growing up as a young black girl in the American South facing many hardships. This lesson will explore how the book was received by audiences and critics giving additional focus to its literary influence and censorship.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Study Guide course