About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the History Alive! Era Overview - Global Crisis & Achievement, 1900-1945 chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the world history topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Effects of world conflicts, including the balances of power, polarity and collective security
- Germany's unification after the Franco-Prussian War
- Hitler's rise to power
- National socialism in Germany
- Nazism's downfall and the Battle of Berlin
- Culture and government in Indochina from 1900 - 1945
History Alive! is a registered trademark of TCI, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Understanding the Balance of Power, Polarity & Collective Security in World Conflicts
In this lesson, we will examine some of the theoretical concepts related to modern global conflict. Specifically, we will look at balance of power, types of polarity and lateralism, and collective security.
2. The Franco-Prussian War & the Unification of Germany
In this lesson, we will learn about the Franco-Prussian War and the unification of Germany. We will explore how these events helped set the context for French-German conflict in World War I.
3. The Rise of Hitler & National Socialism
In this lesson, we will explore the rise of Adolf Hitler and National Socialism. We will place these developments in historical context and highlight major events and themes.
4. Victory in Europe: The Battle of Berlin & the Downfall of the Nazi Regime
In this lesson, we learn about the Battle of Berlin and the end of Germany's Nazi regime. We will place this event in historical context and we will understand its importance.
5. Indochina from 1900 to 1945: Culture, Government & Unrest
The history of the Vietnam War begins with understanding the events in Indochina prior to the end of 1945. In this lesson, you will learn about Indochina's culture, foreign rule and internal opposition to foreigners prior to the American arrival in Vietnam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TCI History Alive World Connections: Online Textbook Help course
- History Alive Chapter 1: Themes of World History
- History Alive Chapter 2: Era Overview - Foundations of World History, Prehistory-300 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 3: World Religions
- History Alive Chapter 4: Era Overview - Expanding Interactions, 300-1500 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 5: Feudalism's Decline
- History Alive Chapter 6: Byzantine Empire
- History Alive Chapter 7: The Political Development of Imperial China
- History Alive Chapter 8: Ghana - A West African Trading Empire
- History Alive Chapter 9: Achievements of the Mayas, Aztecs & Incas
- History Alive Chapter 10: Era Overview - The First Global Age, 1400-1799
- History Alive Chapter 11: Expanding Empires Outside Europe
- History Alive Chapter 12: Transformations in Europe
- History Alive Chapter 13: Toward a Global Economy
- History Alive Chapter 14: Era Overview - An Age of Global Revolutions, 1700s-1914
- History Alive Chapter 15: Political Revolutions & Their Legacies
- History Alive Chapter 16: The Industrial Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 17: Imperialism Throughout the World
- History Alive Chapter 19: World War I
- History Alive Chapter 20: The Russian Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 21: Foreign Influences & Revolutions in the Americas
- History Alive Chapter 22: North Africa & the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 23: The Rise of Fascism & Totalitarian States
- History Alive Chapter 24: World War II
- History Alive Chapter 25: Forces for Independence & Revolution in Asia
- History Alive Chapter 26: Era Overview - The Cold War & Beyond, 1945-Present
- History Alive Chapter 27: The Cold War & the Third World
- History Alive Chapter 28: Movements Toward Independence & Democracy
- History Alive Chapter 29: Shifts of Power in the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 30: Contemporary Global Issues