About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in The Cold War and the Third World chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the historical concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the history topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- U.S. foreign policies in Guatemala and Chile during the Cold War
- Communism's influence on the Cuban Revolution
- Fidel Castro's role in the Cuban Revolution
- Effects of the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Bay of Pigs
- Causes, conflicts and consequences of the Vietnam War
- Communism's spread through Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos
- Effects of the Cold War in South Africa and in Nigeria
History Alive! is a registered trademark of TCI, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. US Foreign Policy in Guatemala & Chile During the Cold War
During the Cold War, one of the United States' main goals was to keep Communism out of the Western Hemisphere, specifically Latin America. This lesson outlines how this policy of containment impacted the countries of Guatemala and Chile.
2. Communism and the Cuban Revolution: Castro, the Bay of Pigs & the Cuban Missile Crisis
In this lesson, we will examine the relationship between communism and the country of Cuba. We will focus specifically on the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro's rise to power, the Bay of Pigs Invasion, and the Cuban Missile Crisis.
3. The Vietnam War: Causes, Conflicts & Effects
The Vietnam War was the longest and most polarizing conflict in the history of the United States. Learn about the causes of the war as well as its effects on the United States.
4. Communism Spreads During the Vietnam War: Cambodia and Laos
The fall of Cambodia and Laos in 1975 marked the end of the struggle to contain communism in Southeast Asia. Learn about the two nations, including their leaders, struggles and postwar actions, in this lesson.
5. Effects of the Cold War in South Africa & Nigeria
The Cold War was a global conflict that impacted different places in different ways. In this lesson, we'll explore the legacy of the Cold War in South Africa and Nigeria.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TCI History Alive World Connections: Online Textbook Help course
- History Alive Chapter 1: Themes of World History
- History Alive Chapter 2: Era Overview - Foundations of World History, Prehistory-300 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 3: World Religions
- History Alive Chapter 4: Era Overview - Expanding Interactions, 300-1500 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 5: Feudalism's Decline
- History Alive Chapter 6: Byzantine Empire
- History Alive Chapter 7: The Political Development of Imperial China
- History Alive Chapter 8: Ghana - A West African Trading Empire
- History Alive Chapter 9: Achievements of the Mayas, Aztecs & Incas
- History Alive Chapter 10: Era Overview - The First Global Age, 1400-1799
- History Alive Chapter 11: Expanding Empires Outside Europe
- History Alive Chapter 12: Transformations in Europe
- History Alive Chapter 13: Toward a Global Economy
- History Alive Chapter 14: Era Overview - An Age of Global Revolutions, 1700s-1914
- History Alive Chapter 15: Political Revolutions & Their Legacies
- History Alive Chapter 16: The Industrial Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 17: Imperialism Throughout the World
- History Alive Chapter 18: Era Overview - Global Crisis & Achievement, 1900-1945
- History Alive Chapter 19: World War I
- History Alive Chapter 20: The Russian Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 21: Foreign Influences & Revolutions in the Americas
- History Alive Chapter 22: North Africa & the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 23: The Rise of Fascism & Totalitarian States
- History Alive Chapter 24: World War II
- History Alive Chapter 25: Forces for Independence & Revolution in Asia
- History Alive Chapter 26: Era Overview - The Cold War & Beyond, 1945-Present
- History Alive Chapter 28: Movements Toward Independence & Democracy
- History Alive Chapter 29: Shifts of Power in the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 30: Contemporary Global Issues