About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Movements Toward Independence & Democracy chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the decolonization and revolutions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn about all of the topics in the textbook chapter, including:
- Decolonization in Africa and the Middle East
- Decolonization in South and Southeast Asia
- Causes and effects of the Cuban Revolution
- The Chilean Revolution
History Alive is a registered trademark of TCI, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Decolonization and Nationalism in Indonesia, Vietnam, India & Pakistan
Nationalism played a key role in the decolonization of European colonies in South and Southeast Asia during the 20th century. Explore how nationalism developed and impacted the decolonization process in Indonesia, Vietnam, India, and Pakistan.
2. Decolonization and Nationalism in Israel, Egypt, Africa & Algeria
Decolonization and nationalism in Israel, Egypt, Africa and Algeria after World War II was a tumultuous affair but a great stride for independence in the region. Learn about which nations were involved and their movements.
3. The Cuban Revolution: Causes & Effects
The Cuban Revolution was fought by Fidel Castro's rebellion against the militant dictator Fulgencio Batista between 1953 and 1959. Discover the causes that led to Castro's use of guerrilla tactics, and the effects of the Soviet Union's support of the communist regime.
4. The Chilean Revolution & Augusto Pinochet
The previously stable democracy, Chile, underwent a violent revolution to remove its elected president, Salvador Allende. Militant dictator Augusto Pinochet was eventually installed to rule the country in his place. Follow Allende's rise to power, the economic toll of socialism in Chile, and the formation of Pinochet's military regime.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the TCI History Alive World Connections: Online Textbook Help course
- History Alive Chapter 1: Themes of World History
- History Alive Chapter 2: Era Overview - Foundations of World History, Prehistory-300 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 3: World Religions
- History Alive Chapter 4: Era Overview - Expanding Interactions, 300-1500 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 5: Feudalism's Decline
- History Alive Chapter 6: Byzantine Empire
- History Alive Chapter 7: The Political Development of Imperial China
- History Alive Chapter 8: Ghana - A West African Trading Empire
- History Alive Chapter 9: Achievements of the Mayas, Aztecs & Incas
- History Alive Chapter 10: Era Overview - The First Global Age, 1400-1799
- History Alive Chapter 11: Expanding Empires Outside Europe
- History Alive Chapter 12: Transformations in Europe
- History Alive Chapter 13: Toward a Global Economy
- History Alive Chapter 14: Era Overview - An Age of Global Revolutions, 1700s-1914
- History Alive Chapter 15: Political Revolutions & Their Legacies
- History Alive Chapter 16: The Industrial Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 17: Imperialism Throughout the World
- History Alive Chapter 18: Era Overview - Global Crisis & Achievement, 1900-1945
- History Alive Chapter 19: World War I
- History Alive Chapter 20: The Russian Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 21: Foreign Influences & Revolutions in the Americas
- History Alive Chapter 22: North Africa & the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 23: The Rise of Fascism & Totalitarian States
- History Alive Chapter 24: World War II
- History Alive Chapter 25: Forces for Independence & Revolution in Asia
- History Alive Chapter 26: Era Overview - The Cold War & Beyond, 1945-Present
- History Alive Chapter 27: The Cold War & the Third World
- History Alive Chapter 29: Shifts of Power in the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 30: Contemporary Global Issues