About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the History Alive World Religions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the world religions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Different major religious views
- Key figures in the history of various religions
- Growth of early Christianity
- Spread of Islam
- Origins of Hinduism
- Branches of Buddhism
- Rituals of Confucianism
History Alive is a registered trademark of TCI, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Religious Views: Atheism, Agnosticism & Theism
Sociology of religion is a large branch of sociology. The different views on deities are studied as part of this topic. In this lesson, we compare and contrast the views of theism, atheism, and agnosticism.
2. Judaism: Origins & Significance
Judaism is one of the world's oldest religions, largely due to its ability to travel, but it has had an even greater influence on two other world religions, Christianity and Islam.
3. Key Figures in the Jewish Religion's History
Major religious traditions don't just happen overnight. They take the input of many different people. This lesson looks at the roles of some of the most important people in Jewish history.
4. The Early Christian Church and Its Ties to Judaism
This lesson will explore the early Christian Church and its close connection to Judaism. It will highlight the similarities of these two faiths in reference to the Holy Scriptures while also exploring their disagreement over the person of Jesus Christ.
5. Growth of Early Christianity in Rome
In this lesson, we explore the experiences of early Christians under the Roman Empire, from their early periods of toleration and persecution to the conversion of Emperor Constantine.
6. Missionaries & the Spread of Christianity Across the World
In this lesson we will learn about missionary activity and the spread of Christianity during the late Medieval and early Modern Era. We will highlight key themes, and we will identify locations of missionary work.
7. Mohammed and the Birth of Islam
Out of the deserts of Arabia would come a man who would change the world. He was Mohammed, founder of the religion of Islam, and this lesson serves as a brief summary of his life and the founding of the religion of Islam.
8. The Spread of Islam and the Progress of the Caliphates
After the death of Mohammed, Islam continued to spread through Arabia, the Middle East and Africa. This lesson is an overview of Islam's progress from the faith of Mecca to a faith for all the world.
9. Islam Divides: The Sunni and the Shiite
This lesson will seek to explain the divide between the Sunnis and Shiites of Islamic culture. In doing so, it will highlight the Prophet Muhammad, Ali, Abu Bakr, and the position of Islamic Caliph.
10. The Origins of Hinduism: the Indus River Valley & the Harappa Culture
This lesson will seek to explain the origins of Hinduism. Highlighting the Harappa culture and the Vedic period, it will also explore the Hindu beliefs in Moksha and Brahman.
11. The Hindu Belief System: Dharma, Karma, and Moksha
This lesson will explore the Hindu belief system by explaining the concepts of karma, dharma and moksha. It will also highlight the importance of atman within the Hindu faith.
12. Gautama Buddha: The Founding of Buddhism
This lesson will explore the founding of Buddhism and the life of Siddhartha Gautama. It will also highlight nirvana, asceticism, the concept of a bodhisattva, and the Bodhi tree.
13. The Branches of Buddhism: Theravada, Mahayana & Vajrayana
This lesson will explore the three main branches of Buddhism: Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. It will also highlight Pure Land and Tantric Buddhism, as well as the belief in nirvana and the bodhisattva.
14. Confucianism: Views, Philosophy & Teaching
In this lesson, we explore the life and teachings of the ancient Chinese thinker, Confucius, as well as discovering the various ways his teachings were used to shape Chinese society after his death.
15. Te: The Ethics and Rituals of Confucianism
This lesson will seek to explain Confucianism's virtue of Te as it pertains to rulers. In doing so, it will explore the origins of Confucianism while also highlighting the ritual of filial piety and the concept of Chun-tzu.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TCI History Alive World Connections: Online Textbook Help course
- History Alive Chapter 1: Themes of World History
- History Alive Chapter 2: Era Overview - Foundations of World History, Prehistory-300 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 4: Era Overview - Expanding Interactions, 300-1500 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 5: Feudalism's Decline
- History Alive Chapter 6: Byzantine Empire
- History Alive Chapter 7: The Political Development of Imperial China
- History Alive Chapter 8: Ghana - A West African Trading Empire
- History Alive Chapter 9: Achievements of the Mayas, Aztecs & Incas
- History Alive Chapter 10: Era Overview - The First Global Age, 1400-1799
- History Alive Chapter 11: Expanding Empires Outside Europe
- History Alive Chapter 12: Transformations in Europe
- History Alive Chapter 13: Toward a Global Economy
- History Alive Chapter 14: Era Overview - An Age of Global Revolutions, 1700s-1914
- History Alive Chapter 15: Political Revolutions & Their Legacies
- History Alive Chapter 16: The Industrial Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 17: Imperialism Throughout the World
- History Alive Chapter 18: Era Overview - Global Crisis & Achievement, 1900-1945
- History Alive Chapter 19: World War I
- History Alive Chapter 20: The Russian Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 21: Foreign Influences & Revolutions in the Americas
- History Alive Chapter 22: North Africa & the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 23: The Rise of Fascism & Totalitarian States
- History Alive Chapter 24: World War II
- History Alive Chapter 25: Forces for Independence & Revolution in Asia
- History Alive Chapter 26: Era Overview - The Cold War & Beyond, 1945-Present
- History Alive Chapter 27: The Cold War & the Third World
- History Alive Chapter 28: Movements Toward Independence & Democracy
- History Alive Chapter 29: Shifts of Power in the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 30: Contemporary Global Issues