About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in History Alive's Contemporary Global Issues chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the contemporary global history topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the history topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- The consequences of global climate change and ways to alleviate it
- Various opinions on global sustainability
- Views and worries about the world's population
- Global shifts in the aging population
- Universal health problems
- The threat that terrorism throughout the world poses to human security
History Alive! World Connections is a registered trademark of TCI, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Global Climate Change: Effects and Mitigation Strategies
In this video lesson, you will learn about the potential effects of global climate change. You will also learn how some are working to better understand climate change in order to slow the rate of temperature increase on Earth.
2. Differing Viewpoints on Global Sustainability
The following lesson will define the issue of the Earth's limited capacity to support a growing global population and the differing viewpoints as to how it can be solved. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check for your understanding.
3. Global Population Issues, Concerns & Politics
The following lesson will cover the issue of global population trends and the resulting concerns. We'll explore concepts like carrying capacity, how developed and developing countries differ, and how some cultures and governments affect this issue.
4. Global Trends in an Aging Population
In this lesson we look at global trends that are occurring with the elderly, as well as specific issues that affect industrialized and developing nations. Lastly, we look at how culture is affected by all of this.
5. Types of Global Health Issues
The following lesson will define what a global health issue is and discuss the cause for their spreading, as well as provide examples of major global health issues. A short quiz will follow the lesson.
6. Terrorism Around the World
In this lesson, you'll explore the major terrorist threats of the modern world, including both al-Qaeda and ISIL. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. The Global Threat to Human Security & the Security Dilemma
The following lesson describes the steps nations take to secure their borders, as well as threats to national security that come in the form of terrorism and violent crime. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TCI History Alive World Connections: Online Textbook Help course
- History Alive Chapter 1: Themes of World History
- History Alive Chapter 2: Era Overview - Foundations of World History, Prehistory-300 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 3: World Religions
- History Alive Chapter 4: Era Overview - Expanding Interactions, 300-1500 C.E.
- History Alive Chapter 5: Feudalism's Decline
- History Alive Chapter 6: Byzantine Empire
- History Alive Chapter 7: The Political Development of Imperial China
- History Alive Chapter 8: Ghana - A West African Trading Empire
- History Alive Chapter 9: Achievements of the Mayas, Aztecs & Incas
- History Alive Chapter 10: Era Overview - The First Global Age, 1400-1799
- History Alive Chapter 11: Expanding Empires Outside Europe
- History Alive Chapter 12: Transformations in Europe
- History Alive Chapter 13: Toward a Global Economy
- History Alive Chapter 14: Era Overview - An Age of Global Revolutions, 1700s-1914
- History Alive Chapter 15: Political Revolutions & Their Legacies
- History Alive Chapter 16: The Industrial Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 17: Imperialism Throughout the World
- History Alive Chapter 18: Era Overview - Global Crisis & Achievement, 1900-1945
- History Alive Chapter 19: World War I
- History Alive Chapter 20: The Russian Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 21: Foreign Influences & Revolutions in the Americas
- History Alive Chapter 22: North Africa & the Middle East
- History Alive Chapter 23: The Rise of Fascism & Totalitarian States
- History Alive Chapter 24: World War II
- History Alive Chapter 25: Forces for Independence & Revolution in Asia
- History Alive Chapter 26: Era Overview - The Cold War & Beyond, 1945-Present
- History Alive Chapter 27: The Cold War & the Third World
- History Alive Chapter 28: Movements Toward Independence & Democracy
- History Alive Chapter 29: Shifts of Power in the Middle East