About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the History Alive Reformation Begins chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the Reformation topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The role of Martin Luther's 95 Theses in the Reformation
- Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians
- Influential reformers in Switzerland
- The Catholic Church and change in religious beliefs
- The Hapsburg Dynasty
History Alive is a registered trademark of TCI, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Martin Luther, the 95 Theses and the Birth of the Protestant Reformation
This lesson covers the start of the Protestant Reformation. It begins by comparing the vast array and peacefulness of Christian denominations in modern days to the limited choices and violence of the past. Then it goes into the story of Martin Luther, from his 95 Theses through the Diet of Worms up to the beginning of the German Peasant Revolt.
2. Radical Reformation: Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians
In this lesson, we will study a few of the Christian sects that took the Reformation to extremes. We will focus especially on the origins, development, and doctrines of the Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians.
3. The Spread of the Protestant Reformation Across Europe
In the 16th century, Martin Luther inspired people to believe that the Catholic Church shouldn't hold authority over laypeople. This lesson explores the spread of these Protestant ideas throughout Europe.
4. Religious Reform in Switzerland: Calvin & Zwingli's Teachings in the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation resulted in many people splitting from the Catholic Church. This lesson explores the effect of the Reformation in Switzerland under the leadership of Zwingli and Calvin.
5. The Reformers & the Catholic Church: How Religious Beliefs Transformed During the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation challenged the beliefs of the Catholic Church. This lesson explores some of the differing beliefs among Protestant and Catholic reformers.
6. The Habsburg Dynasty in the Reformation
This lesson focuses on the Habsburg Dynasty during the Reformation. It will highlight the dealings of the Holy Roman Emperors with Protestantism, while also explaining the Reformation's effect on Spain.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TCI History Alive The Medieval World and Beyond: Online Textbook Help course
- History Alive Chapter 1: The Legacy of the Roman Empire
- History Alive Chapter 2: The Development of Feudalism in Western Europe
- History Alive Chapter 3: The Roman Catholic Church in Medieval Europe
- History Alive Chapter 4: Life in Medieval Towns
- History Alive Chapter 5: The Decline of Feudalism
- History Alive Chapter 6: The Byzantine Empire
- History Alive Chapter 7: The Origins and Spread of Islam
- History Alive Chapter 8: Learning About World Religions - Islam
- History Alive Chapter 9: Muslim Innovations & Adaptations
- History Alive Chapter 10: From the Crusades to New Muslim Empires
- History Alive Chapter 11: Early Societies in West Africa
- History Alive Chapter 12: Ghana - A West African Trading Empire
- History Alive Chapter 13: The Influence of Islam on West Africa
- History Alive Chapter 14: The Cultural Legacy of West Africa
- History Alive Chapter 15: The Political Development of Imperial China
- History Alive Chapter 16: China Develops a New Economy
- History Alive Chapter 17: Chinese Discoveries & Inventions
- History Alive Chapter 18: China's Contacts with the Outside World
- History Alive Chapter 19: The Influence of Neighboring Cultures on Japan
- History Alive Chapter 20: Heian-kyo - The Heart of Japan's Golden Age
- History Alive Chapter 21: The Rise of the Warrior Class in Japan
- History Alive Chapter 22: The Mayas
- History Alive Chapter 23: The Aztecs
- History Alive Chapter 24: Daily Life in Tenochtitlán
- History Alive Chapter 25: The Incas
- History Alive Chapter 26: Achievements of the Mayas, Aztecs & Incas
- History Alive Chapter 27: The Renaissance Begins
- History Alive Chapter 28: Florence - The Cradle of the Renaissance
- History Alive Chapter 29: Leading Figures of the Renaissance
- History Alive Chapter 31: The Spread & Impact of the Reformation
- History Alive Chapter 32: The Age of Exploration
- History Alive Chapter 33: The Scientific Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 34: The Enlightenment