About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the History Alive Learning About World Religions - Islam chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the learning about Islam topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The five pillars of Islamic faith
- Sharia law
- Islamic culture
- The Sunni and the Shiite
- Islamic fundamentalism in world politics
History Alive is a registered trademark of TCI, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Qur'an and the Hadith: Islamic Revelation
This lesson will focus on the Koran and the Hadith as sacred texts of Islam. In doing so, it will highlight the Muslim monotheistic belief in Allah and the revelation of the Koran to Muhammad.
2. Five Pillars of the Islamic Faith: Overview, the Quran & Sharia Law
The Five Pillars of Islam are the foundation of the world's second largest faith. They are characterized by a simplicity that encourages peaceful cooperation between people, which is one reason for the religion's widespread devotion. This lesson will detail each of the five and show how they relate to the daily lives of practicing Muslims.
3. Islamic Life and Sharia Law: Faith & Culture
Today's lesson will explore Sharia law in reference to fundamentalist Islam. In doing so, it will highlight the concept of Sharia law as the True Path. It will also discuss its origins in the sacred texts of Islam known as the Koran, the Sunnah, and the Hadith.
4. Islam Divides: The Sunni and the Shiite
This lesson will seek to explain the divide between the Sunnis and Shiites of Islamic culture. In doing so, it will highlight the Prophet Muhammad, Ali, Abu Bakr, and the position of Islamic Caliph.
5. Off-Shoots of Islam: The Sufi and Bahai
This lesson will seek to explain the Islamic offshoots of Sufism and the Bahai Movement. In doing so, it will highlight both the similarities and differences in reference to Orthodox Islam and its teachings on the Prophet Muhammad and the Koran.
6. Islamic Fundamentalism and World Politics: Wahhabi Movement, Muslim Brotherhood & Jihad
This lesson will seek to explain the impact of Wahhabism and the Muslim Brotherhood on Islam and the world's politics. In doing so, it will highlight the Koran and Sharia law and their influence in places like Egypt and Saudi Arabia.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TCI History Alive The Medieval World and Beyond: Online Textbook Help course
- History Alive Chapter 1: The Legacy of the Roman Empire
- History Alive Chapter 2: The Development of Feudalism in Western Europe
- History Alive Chapter 3: The Roman Catholic Church in Medieval Europe
- History Alive Chapter 4: Life in Medieval Towns
- History Alive Chapter 5: The Decline of Feudalism
- History Alive Chapter 6: The Byzantine Empire
- History Alive Chapter 7: The Origins and Spread of Islam
- History Alive Chapter 9: Muslim Innovations & Adaptations
- History Alive Chapter 10: From the Crusades to New Muslim Empires
- History Alive Chapter 11: Early Societies in West Africa
- History Alive Chapter 12: Ghana - A West African Trading Empire
- History Alive Chapter 13: The Influence of Islam on West Africa
- History Alive Chapter 14: The Cultural Legacy of West Africa
- History Alive Chapter 15: The Political Development of Imperial China
- History Alive Chapter 16: China Develops a New Economy
- History Alive Chapter 17: Chinese Discoveries & Inventions
- History Alive Chapter 18: China's Contacts with the Outside World
- History Alive Chapter 19: The Influence of Neighboring Cultures on Japan
- History Alive Chapter 20: Heian-kyo - The Heart of Japan's Golden Age
- History Alive Chapter 21: The Rise of the Warrior Class in Japan
- History Alive Chapter 22: The Mayas
- History Alive Chapter 23: The Aztecs
- History Alive Chapter 24: Daily Life in Tenochtitlán
- History Alive Chapter 25: The Incas
- History Alive Chapter 26: Achievements of the Mayas, Aztecs & Incas
- History Alive Chapter 27: The Renaissance Begins
- History Alive Chapter 28: Florence - The Cradle of the Renaissance
- History Alive Chapter 29: Leading Figures of the Renaissance
- History Alive Chapter 30: The Reformation Begins
- History Alive Chapter 31: The Spread & Impact of the Reformation
- History Alive Chapter 32: The Age of Exploration
- History Alive Chapter 33: The Scientific Revolution
- History Alive Chapter 34: The Enlightenment