About This Chapter
History of Assistive Technology - Chapter Summary
What are your legal responsibilities as a teacher regarding students with disabilities? What are the types of assistive technology devices and how are they categorized? This is the type of information you can review with this chapter and that can form the basis for instructional and assessment strategies you might use when choosing and implementing assistive technology in your classroom. Through the use of this chapter, you will have the ability to:
- Recite the timeline of the history of assistive technology
- Identify the three categories of assistive technology
- Understand the importance and implications of the Assistive Technology Acts of 1998 and 2004
- List the principles of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
How It Helps
- Strengthens understanding of IDEA: Ensures that you are adhering to all principles of this federal law.
- Ensures adherence to federal assistive technology laws: Protects your students by ensuring that you understand and implement all legal standards regarding assistive technology availability and use within your classroom.
- Increases awareness: Helps you to appreciate the development of assistive technology and its importance in the education system.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Categorize assistive technology devices
- Provide details about assistive technology laws and their implications
- Implement IDEA principles in the classroom
1. History of Assistive Technology
This lesson provides a timeline and brief description of each important event in the history of assistive technology, as well as an introduction to the three categories of assistive technology devices.
2. Assistive Technology Act of 1998
The Assistive Technology Act of 1998 forever changed assistive technology for individuals with disabilities, especially for our exceptional students. Discover in this lesson why the Assistive Technology Act of 1998 was so groundbreaking, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Assistive Technology Act of 2004
This lesson will explore the Assistive Technology Act of 2004. We will discuss assistive technology in general, present a basic history of the Act prior to 2004, examine the 2004 reauthorization, and consider some of the implications.
4. IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - History and Summary
It is important for all teachers to understand the 2004 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and how it impacts students with disabilities. This lesson discusses the six main principles of IDEA and how they are implemented in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Assistive Technology in Education course