About This Chapter
History of Computing & Societal Impacts - Chapter Summary
This chapter makes it simple to understand the history of computing and how it impacts society. Watch fun videos to study the relationship between technology and globalization, telecommuting, privacy and much more. After completing this chapter, you will feel confident in your ability to:
- Detail the timeline and evolution of computers
- Define information technology and discuss its impact on the economy
- Explain how technology has impacted globalization, outsourcing and insourcing
- Discuss the impact of technology on ergonomics, telecommuting, job designs and more
- Share ways technology impacts privacy
- List and describe information systems jobs and career options
- Provide facts about computer security and threat prevention for organizations and individuals
- Describe issues and concerns of intellectual property and open source software
Enjoy the ability to review each lesson in this chapter in two formats: videos and transcripts. Videos present the materials with help from fun visual effects, and transcripts let you review the lessons by printing them or reading them online. Study the lessons you feel will successfully boost your knowledge of the history of computing and its impact on society. When ready, check your understanding of those lessons by taking short quizzes.
1. History of Computers: Timeline & Evolution
Modern computing has a rich history. Learn about the earliest computing devices developed by humans, the first electronic computers and the development of modern computer components, such as microprocessors and the graphical user interface, in this video lesson.
2. Technological Revolutions: Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we explore a few of the technological innovations that have helped create the 21st-century world and will likely change our world throughout the century.
3. Information Technology: Impact on the Economy
4. Globalization, Outsourcing & Insourcing: Impact of Technology on Careers
This lesson discusses the impact information technology has on careers. Globalization has been driven by advances in technology and has impacted job security and wages. We will specifically look at downsizing, insourcing and outsourcing.
5. Ergonomics, Telecommuting, Virtual Teams & Job Design: Technology Effects on Careers
This lesson explores the impact of information technology on job design, teamwork, health and safety and how we commute to work. Specific topics discussed are telecommuting, virtual teams, job design and ergonomics.
6. What Is Offshoring? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Companies move part or all of their production to other countries for a number of reasons. In this lesson, you will learn more about offshoring and its advantages and disadvantages.
7. Impact of Technology on Privacy
Technology has a number of social and ethical implications that cause debate and concern. One specific issue is privacy. Information technology has opened up society and decreased privacy. This lesson will explore a number of privacy issues that are of concern, including electronic surveillance, availability of personal information, cookies and spyware, and workplace monitoring.
8. Social Media Responsibility & Etiquette
Trying to figure out how to navigate the explosion of social media sites available today? In this lesson, we'll discuss a social media user's responsibilities and tips for being on your best behavior online.
9. Information Systems Jobs & Career Options
In this lesson, we'll give an overview of some of the careers in the information systems and technology fields. You have options, so let's explore them.
10. What is Malware? - Definition, Examples & Types
Viruses, worms, spyware, adware, hijackers, and Trojans. What do all of these things have in common? They're all forms of malware. In this lesson, we'll define malware and discuss some common types and examples.
11. Computer Security & Threat Prevention for Individuals & Organizations
Computer security and threat prevention is essential for individuals and organizations. Effective security measures can reduce errors, fraud, and losses. This lesson will explore unintentional threats and intentional threats. Various security measures and defenses will be explored, including encryption, firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware, passwords, back-ups, and biometric security.
12. Types of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence (AI) has come a long way from the days of 'The Jetsons'! In this lesson, you'll learn more about how computers are getting smarter and the types of AI that exist in our everyday lives.
13. Intellectual Property and Open Source Software: Issues and Concerns
One of the defining issues of the Internet era is intellectual property rights. The Internet has made it easy to access digital media and illegally copy it. This lesson will discuss intellectual property including protections through copyrights, trademarks and patents. We will also explore the open source movement and the growing trend toward free, unprotected software.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Computing and Information Technology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Computer Hardware
- Overview of Operating Systems
- Basics of Systems Software
- Application Software Overview
- Database Management & Data Analytics
- Internet Infrastructure & Communication
- Telecommunications & Network Architecture
- Programming & Software Methodology
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Computing and Information Technology Flashcards