About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Russian history material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the history of modern Russia. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing events and people associated with the history of modern Russia
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning world history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the History of Modern Russia chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the History of Modern Russia chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any world history question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the history of modern Russia for a standard world history course. Topics covered include:
- Enlightened despotism in Russia
- Causes of the Russian Revolution
- The creation of the U.S.S.R
- Causes and early events of the Cold War
- The fall of the Soviet Union
- The Cold War's end
1. Enlightened Despots in Russia: Reforms & Goals
In this lesson, we explore the term enlightened despotism and the two rulers that most closely resemble enlightened despots in eighteenth-century Russia, Peter the Great and Catherine the Great.
2. The Russian Revolution: Timeline, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we will examine the Russian Revolution. We will see what events led to the revolution, and we'll learn how the revolution impacted Russia's involvement in World War I.
3. The U.S.S.R.: History & Creation
In this lesson, we will learn about the creation of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, commonly referred to as the Soviet Union. We will learn what events brought about the emergence of the Soviet Union, and how it has impacted the course of world history.
4. The Cold War: Definition, Causes & Early Events
The period of distrust between the Soviet Union and United States was known as the Cold War. Learn about the origins of the era, essential events and the shaping of the national security state.
5. Fall of the Soviet Union and End of the Cold War: Causes & Timeline
In this lesson, we chart the reforms made by Russian premier Mikhail Gorbachev attempting to save the Soviet Union and the communist federation's eventual dissolution in 1991.
6. Russian Emperors
Russia has an interesting history, much of which was overseen by its tsars. In this lesson, we'll talk about the leaders of the Russian Empire and learn how they impacted the nation they ruled.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Major Events in World History Study Guide course
- History of Ancient Civilizations
- History of the Ancient Middle East & India
- Ancient Greek History
- Ancient Roman History
- History of Early China & Japan
- History of Africa Before Colonization
- History of the Americas
- History of France & England
- Modern History of Germany
- Modern History of Greater Europe
- Countries & Capitals of the World
- Historical Timelines
- Contemporary Africa
- Contemporary Asia
- Contemporary America
- Ancient Inventions
- Dynasties of China