About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall History of Our World Early Civilizations of the Americas chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the early civilizations of the Americas topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students Will Learn:
- History of Incan civilization and the Incan army
- Meso-American religion and rites of passage
- Civilizations such as the Cortes and the Olmecs
- History of Native Americans
Prentice Hall History of Our World is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Inca Civilization and Pizarro: Pre-Columbian South America
The Incan Empire was an amazing empire of the early Americas. Their accomplishments rival those of many other great empires, but they were defeated by the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro in only a few years.
2. Incan Army: History & Practices
In this lesson, you will learn about the Inca Army through the eyes of a soldier, one of the 200,000 well-trained warriors tasked with defending and expanding South America's mighty Inca Empire.
3. Mesoamerican Civilizations: The Olmecs to Cortes
This lesson focuses on the early cultures of Mesoamerica. The Olmec, Maya, and Aztecs developed great civilizations in Mesoamerica over millennia. Then, after all of this development and the building of a great empire, the Aztec were quickly defeated by Hernando Cortes.
4. The Religions of Meso-America
This lesson will explore the bygone religions of Meso-America, specifically the Mayan and Aztec belief systems. In doing this, it will highlight their belief in animism, their sacred calendars, and the use of human sacrifice as a means of worship.
5. The Meso-American Religious Rites of Passage
This lesson will explain the Mesoamerican rites of passage. In doing this, it will explore the ancient cultures and ceremonial practices of the Mayan and Aztec people of Mexico and Central America.
6. Native American History: Origins of Early People in the Americas
Because the first humans and civilizations got their start in Africa and the Middle East, historians and anthropologists have had to figure out how Native Americans got to the Americas. In this lesson we look at the three prevailing theories of the earliest migration to the New World.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall History of Our World: Online Textbook Help course
- History of Our World Chapter 1: The Beginnings of Human Society
- History of Our World Chapter 2: The Fertile Crescent
- History of Our World Chapter 3: Ancient Egypt and Nubia
- History of Our World Chapter 4: Ancient India
- History of Our World Chapter 5: Ancient China
- History of Our World Chapter 6: The Rise of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 7: The Glory of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 8: The Rise of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 9: The Glory of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 10: Byzantine and Muslim Civilizations
- History of Our World Chapter 11: Civilizations of Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 13: Civilizations of Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 14: Europe in the Middle Ages
- History of Our World Chapter 15: The Renaissance and Reformation
- History of Our World Chapter 16: Exploration: Europe and Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 17: Exploration: Europe, the Americas, and Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 18: The Rise of Monarchies
- History of Our World Chapter 19: Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 20: A Changing World
- History of Our World Chapter 21: World Wars and Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 22: The World Today (1945-Present)