About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Europe in the Middle Ages chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the Middle Ages topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The characteristics of feudalism
- The Catholic Church's power during the High Middle Ages
- The causes of Medieval Europe's urban revolution
- Causes and effects of the First Crusade
- The failures of Crusades following the first one
- Different impacts the Crusades had
- The British Monarchy's history
- Battles of the Hundred Years' War
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Feudalism: Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire
This lesson explains the rule of Charlemagne and his control over the Holy Roman Empire. It highlights his many military conquests and his divine rights as king, while also focusing on the role feudalism played before, during, and after his reign.
2. Heresies and Inquisitions in the High Middle Ages
During the Middle Ages the term heresy referred to religious beliefs that were in disagreement with an established Christian doctrine. This lesson explores the often violent results of the growing popularity of heretical beliefs in the High Middle Ages.
3. The Reemergence of Towns and Commerce
This lesson explores the urban revolution of the 12th century. We will examine the causes, especially the resurgence of trade, and then look at the various factors that made the revolution possible. Finally, we will discuss the impact of this revolution on Medieval Europe.
4. The First Crusade: Causes and Effects
This lesson covers the motivations of Pope Urban II in calling for the crusade at Clermont and at the religious and secular motivations of European laymen. We will also look at the startling success of the first crusade.
5. The Great Crusades: History and Timeline
This lesson examines the utter failure of the later crusades. We look at some of the factors that led to this failure. We then have a glimpse at each of the major crusades abroad, as well as the political and heretical crusades in Europe.
6. Results and Impact of the Crusades
This lesson explores the results and impact of the Crusades. We examine the social impact, the political impact and the economic impact of three centuries of crusading.
7. The History and Power of the British Monarchy
In this lesson, we will explore the history of the British monarchy from its early days to modern times. We will pay special attention to the ways in which the monarch's power has changed throughout the centuries.
8. Middle Age Royals of England and France
The life of a High Middle Ages's king was filled with conflict. This lesson explores some of the major kings of England and France and their relations with each other and their powerful nobles.
9. The Hundred Years' War: England vs. France
The Hundred Years' War was fought between England and France between 1337 and 1453. This lesson explores what led to the conflict and some of the decisive battles of the war.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall History of Our World: Online Textbook Help course
- History of Our World Chapter 1: The Beginnings of Human Society
- History of Our World Chapter 2: The Fertile Crescent
- History of Our World Chapter 3: Ancient Egypt and Nubia
- History of Our World Chapter 4: Ancient India
- History of Our World Chapter 5: Ancient China
- History of Our World Chapter 6: The Rise of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 7: The Glory of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 8: The Rise of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 9: The Glory of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 10: Byzantine and Muslim Civilizations
- History of Our World Chapter 11: Civilizations of Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 12: Early Civilizations of the Americas
- History of Our World Chapter 13: Civilizations of Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 15: The Renaissance and Reformation
- History of Our World Chapter 16: Exploration: Europe and Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 17: Exploration: Europe, the Americas, and Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 18: The Rise of Monarchies
- History of Our World Chapter 19: Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 20: A Changing World
- History of Our World Chapter 21: World Wars and Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 22: The World Today (1945-Present)