About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Prentice Hall Exploration: Europe and Asia chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover European exploration in the Americas and Asia topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will study:
- Early European exploration in the New World
- Mapmaking, marine commerce and piracy
- Spanish and Portuguese exploration
- Columbus, Native Americans and the origins of European colonization
- European exploration in India, Southeast Asia, and East Asia
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Old World and New World: Why Europeans Sailed to the Americas
This lesson will focus on the Age of Exploration. It will explain the main reasons why Europeans explored the New World. It will highlight their spirit of adventure, the religious desire to see natives converted, and the chance to acquire wealth.
2. Mapping the World, Seaborne Commerce & Piracy
This lesson will focus on the improvement of maps, the growth of seaborne commerce, and the piracy that occurred during the Age of Exploration. It will also highlight the famous Sea Dogs of England.
3. Great Explorers of Spain and Portugal: Aims & Discoveries
This lesson will focus on the New World explorations of Spain and Portugal. It will list explorers from both of these countries while also highlighting the motivations behind European exploration.
4. Effects of European Colonization: Christopher Columbus and Native Americans
The earliest explorers in the Western Hemisphere left a legacy that would shape the development of the Americas permanently. No matter what they came looking for, Europeans left behind death, horses, and metal.
5. European Exploration in India & Southeast Asia
While many in the United States focus primarily on the exploration of the New World during the Age of Exploration, a great deal of economic empire building was happening in the Indian Ocean.
6. European Exploration in East Asia
Europeans faced significant difficulties when trying to trade with China and Japan. Much of this was due to preexisting notions that these East Asian societies held towards all outsiders.
7. What Is the Northwest Passage? - Explorers, Definition & History
In this lesson we explore the Northwest Passage and the explorers who devoted voyages to finding a quick route to East Asia, through North America, from Europe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall History of Our World: Online Textbook Help course
- History of Our World Chapter 1: The Beginnings of Human Society
- History of Our World Chapter 2: The Fertile Crescent
- History of Our World Chapter 3: Ancient Egypt and Nubia
- History of Our World Chapter 4: Ancient India
- History of Our World Chapter 5: Ancient China
- History of Our World Chapter 6: The Rise of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 7: The Glory of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 8: The Rise of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 9: The Glory of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 10: Byzantine and Muslim Civilizations
- History of Our World Chapter 11: Civilizations of Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 12: Early Civilizations of the Americas
- History of Our World Chapter 13: Civilizations of Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 14: Europe in the Middle Ages
- History of Our World Chapter 15: The Renaissance and Reformation
- History of Our World Chapter 17: Exploration: Europe, the Americas, and Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 18: The Rise of Monarchies
- History of Our World Chapter 19: Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 20: A Changing World
- History of Our World Chapter 21: World Wars and Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 22: The World Today (1945-Present)