About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Rise of Monarchies chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the monarchies topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Arts of the Spanish Golden Age
- The history of the Spanish Inquisition
- Characteristics of France's absolute monarchy
- Developments during the 80 Years' War
- Accomplishments of Louis XIV
- Austria's expansion during the 17th and 18th centuries
- Prussia's early history
- The westernization of Russia
- Advancements during Queen Elizabeth I's reign
- Causes of the English Civil War
- The significance of the Glorious Revolution
- When the English Restoration was
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Spanish Golden Age: Growth of Power & the Arts
In this lesson, you will explore the history of Spain's Golden Age under the powerful monarchs Charles V and Philip II. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Reconquista and Spanish Inquisition
This lesson will explain the Spanish Reconquista and the Spanish Inquisition. It will focus on the reasons for each, specifically highlighting the role of Ferdinand and Isabella, and the tortures they allowed.
3. The 80 Years War and the Spanish Armada
This lesson will explain the relationship between the 80 Years' War and the Spanish Armada. It will focus on the Netherlands' struggle for independence from Spain while also describing the role England played in the conflict.
4. Royal Absolutism in France: Monarchical Power & Louis XIV
In this lesson, we will study France's absolute monarchy. We will learn its characteristics, examine its rise, and meet Louis XIV, the 'Sun King,' who brought royal absolutism to its height.
5. French Expansion Under Louis XIV: Conflicts & Overview
In this lesson, we explore the initial expansion and eventual reduction of French territory during the reign of Louis XIV of France, and the numerous wars fought and political games played in the process.
6. The Reign of Louis XIV in France: Accomplishments & Influence
In this lesson, we explore the reign of Louis XIV in France. Domestically, Louis revolutionized numerous facets of French government and administration over his 72-year reign.
7. The Rise of Austria & Strengthening of the Hapsburg Monarchy
In this lesson, we explore the rise of the Austrian state in the second half of the 17th and first half of the 18th centuries. Austrian expansion and government centralization turned it into one of Europe's foremost powers by 1740.
8. The Creation of Prussia: History & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the creation and rise of the Prussian state during the 17th and early 18th centuries. The keen reforms of the Hohenzollern rulers built Prussia into a fearsome state; one that would later form the backbone of modern Germany.
9. Peter the Great & the Westernization of Russia: Facts & History
In this lesson, we explore the reign of arguably Russia's greatest monarch, Peter the Great. We'll also look at the westernization of Russian life and government that he implemented.
10. Queen Elizabeth I and England's Golden Age
This lesson will focus on the reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England, known as England's Golden Age. It will highlight England's advancements in economic growth, the sciences, the arts, and exploration under the lone rule of Elizabeth, the Virgin Queen.
11. The English Civil War and Failure of Charles' Monarchy
This lesson will explain the reign and execution of England's King Charles I. It will highlight the actions of Charles, along with his confrontations with Parliament, that led to the English Civil War.
12. The Glorious Revolution of 1688: Events and Significance
In this lesson, we will examine the causes, events, and effects of England's Glorious Revolution of 1688, in which King James II was overthrown by William of Orange and his allies in the English Parliament.
13. The Restoration of a Limited Monarchy in England: Definition & History
In this lesson we explore the English Restoration of the monarchy in 1660. Over a decade after Parliament beheaded King Charles I, it restored his son, Charles II, to the English throne, albeit under a new, limited constitutional monarchy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall History of Our World: Online Textbook Help course
- History of Our World Chapter 1: The Beginnings of Human Society
- History of Our World Chapter 2: The Fertile Crescent
- History of Our World Chapter 3: Ancient Egypt and Nubia
- History of Our World Chapter 4: Ancient India
- History of Our World Chapter 5: Ancient China
- History of Our World Chapter 6: The Rise of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 7: The Glory of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 8: The Rise of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 9: The Glory of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 10: Byzantine and Muslim Civilizations
- History of Our World Chapter 11: Civilizations of Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 12: Early Civilizations of the Americas
- History of Our World Chapter 13: Civilizations of Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 14: Europe in the Middle Ages
- History of Our World Chapter 15: The Renaissance and Reformation
- History of Our World Chapter 16: Exploration: Europe and Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 17: Exploration: Europe, the Americas, and Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 19: Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 20: A Changing World
- History of Our World Chapter 21: World Wars and Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 22: The World Today (1945-Present)