About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall The World Today (1945 - Present) chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the contemporary history topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the history topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Development of economic and social stability
- The Korean War and the United States' involvement
- Causes and effects of the Vietnam War
- The Cold War
- Conflicts between the US and the Soviet Union
- Fall of the Soviet Union
- Politics in Latin America after the war
- Events in Asia, Africa and the Middle East from 1945 through the present
- OPEC's oil embargo
- Nationalism and decolonization in Egypt, Israel, Africa and Algeria
- Effects of information technology on the economy and the origins of the Internet
- Expansion of the global economy
- The effects of global climate change
- Islamic Fundamentalism
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Emergence of Political, Social, and Economic Stability
In this lesson, we explore the factors that led to the emergence of peace in Europe and the nature of the tenuous political, economic and social stability that developed after WWII.
2. United States Involvement in the Korean War: Causes and Effects
The Korean War was a short but bloody war with more than five million casualties. Find out what caused this deadly and destructive war, how the United States came to be involved and how the war affected Korea and its allies.
3. The Vietnam War: Causes, Conflicts & Effects
The Vietnam War was the longest and most polarizing conflict in the history of the United States. Learn about the causes of the war as well as its effects on the United States.
4. Tension Between the US and the Soviets: Wars, Confrontations & the Cold War
In this lesson, we explore the causes and factors that led to increased tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union after WWII, and to the incidents that almost led to all out war.
5. Fall of the Soviet Union and End of the Cold War: Causes & Timeline
In this lesson, we chart the reforms made by Russian premier Mikhail Gorbachev attempting to save the Soviet Union and the communist federation's eventual dissolution in 1991.
6. Post-war Latin American Politics
This lesson explores the political events occurring in post-World War II Latin America. We highlight the impact of the Cold War and American intervention.
7. Overview of Asia from 1945 to the Present
In this lesson, you will explore the general experiences of nations in Asia since the end of World War II in 1945. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Important Events in Africa: 1945-Present
More than any other region, Africa has transformed dramatically over the past 70 years. This lesson explains how a continent of colonies transformed into a continent of vibrant states.
9. Overview of the Middle East: 1945-Present
The Middle East has undergone considerable changes since 1945. From 'mandate' territories to areas of great geopolitical interest, few aspects of modern life are untouched by the events of this region.
10. Conflict in the Middle East: OPEC's 1970s Oil Embargo & Its Impact
The 1970s represented a period of economic distress in the United States. Learn about one of the major factors, the 1973 oil embargo by OPEC, and its devastating impact on the American economy in this video lesson.
11. Decolonization and Nationalism in Israel, Egypt, Africa & Algeria
In this lesson, we explore the concepts of nationalism and national self-determination and how they affected the decolonization of the Middle East and Africa in the second half of the 20th century.
12. Information Technology: Impact on the Economy
13. What is the History of the Internet? - Origins & Timeline
While the Internet has become an integral part of our daily lives, it is a relatively recent technology. Learn about the origins of the Internet, e-mail and the World Wide Web.
14. Internet Communication: Social Media, Email, Blog, & Chat
This lesson talks about how social media adds business value by building networks that enhance competitive advantage, enable the exchange of information, foster strong relationships and serve as a foundation of building professional and personal relationships irrespective of different geographical spaces and time zones.
15. The Global Economy: Advantages, Expansion & Impact
This lesson will explain the concept of economic globalization. We will look at both its positive and negative effects while also highlighting the terms 'import,' 'export,' and 'capital flight.'
16. Global Climate Change: Effects and Mitigation Strategies
In this video lesson, you will learn about the potential effects of global climate change. You will also learn how some are working to better understand climate change in order to slow the rate of temperature increase on Earth.
17. Islamic Fundamentalism and World Politics: Wahhabi Movement, Muslim Brotherhood & Jihad
This lesson will seek to explain the impact of Wahhabism and the Muslim Brotherhood on Islam and the world's politics. In doing so, it will highlight the Koran and Sharia law and their influence in places like Egypt and Saudi Arabia.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall History of Our World: Online Textbook Help course
- History of Our World Chapter 1: The Beginnings of Human Society
- History of Our World Chapter 2: The Fertile Crescent
- History of Our World Chapter 3: Ancient Egypt and Nubia
- History of Our World Chapter 4: Ancient India
- History of Our World Chapter 5: Ancient China
- History of Our World Chapter 6: The Rise of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 7: The Glory of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 8: The Rise of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 9: The Glory of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 10: Byzantine and Muslim Civilizations
- History of Our World Chapter 11: Civilizations of Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 12: Early Civilizations of the Americas
- History of Our World Chapter 13: Civilizations of Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 14: Europe in the Middle Ages
- History of Our World Chapter 15: The Renaissance and Reformation
- History of Our World Chapter 16: Exploration: Europe and Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 17: Exploration: Europe, the Americas, and Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 18: The Rise of Monarchies
- History of Our World Chapter 19: Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 20: A Changing World
- History of Our World Chapter 21: World Wars and Revolutions