About This Chapter
History of Psychology Overview - Chapter Summary
Feel confident in your knowledge of the history of psychology by reviewing this comprehensive chapter. Top instructors make it easy to gain a quality understanding of psychology in ancient history, the 19th and 20th centuries and more. Each lesson in this chapter covers a unique topic and is accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz you can take anytime to test your understanding of concepts covered. A broader exam is available to gauge your grasp of the entire chapter. Our Dashboard keeps track of your progress and lets you submit any lesson topic questions to our experts. After completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss major developments in psychology from BCE to the 1st century
- List major developments in psychology from the 1st to the end of the 17th century
- Describe contributions made to the field of psychology in the 19th century
- Outline the history of psychology in the 20th century
- Explain major developments in and contributions to psychology in the 21st century
1. Psychology in Ancient History: Major Developments & Contributions
Take a quick journey in time and explore psychology in ancient history. In this lesson, learn about the work of some of the most important scholars in history and examine their major contributions to psychology.
2. Early History of Psychology: Major Developments & Contributions
The early pioneers of psychology established it as a new and independent science. Wundt, Freud, Titchener, Wertheimer, Skinner, James and Watson proposed four seminal schools of thought, encompassing both experiments in laboratory and field, and also the development of clinical therapies.
3. History of 19th Century Psychology: Major Developments & Contributions
In this lesson, we will examine the major developments in the study of psychology in the 19th century, most notably the recognition of anxiety, Freud's theories, and the advent of experimental psychology.
4. History of 20th Century Psychology: Major Developments & Contributions
In this lesson, we'll journey through the origins of psychology from ancient times through the 20th century. You will learn about Descartes's and Freud's role in shaping modern psychology and the major contributions of 20th-century psychology.
5. History of 21st Century Psychology: Major Developments & Contributions
Did you know that forensic psychology is a branch of psychology? Let's take a tour through history to learn about the evolution of psychology through the ages, including fascinating developments in the 21st-century.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology course
- Studying the History of Psychology
- Philosophical Influences on Psychology
- Physiological Influences on Psychology
- Women & Minorities in Psychology
- The New Psychology
- Structuralism in Psychology
- Antecedent Influences on Functionalism
- Development of Functionalism
- Applied Psychology
- Antecedent Influences on Behaviorism
- Development of Behaviorism
- Evolution of Behaviorism
- Gestalt Psychology
- Important Theories in Psychoanalysis
- Contemporary Developments in Psychology
- History of American Psychiatry
- Case Studies in Psychology
- Required Assignment for Psychology 312
- Studying for Psychology 312