About This Chapter
History of Taoism - Chapter Summary
This chapter on the history of Taoism reviews how Chang Ling, Lao-tzu and Chang Lu contributed to the development of this philosophy. There's also a lesson about how Korean Taoism expanded. By the end of the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss the role of Lao-Tau in forming Taoism
- List different tenets of Taoism
- Recount the history of the Tao-te Ching
- Explain how Taoism developed into a structured faith system
- Communicate why the Classic of Great Peace is important
- Recall what led to the decline of the Han Dynasty
- Provide a definition for internal and external alchemy
- Discuss Perfect Truth and Heavenly Masters as Taoist sects
Our educators prove that learning can be both engaging and informative. A brief quiz is available for each lesson to assess what you know about the history of Taoism. For your convenience, each video lesson includes a full written transcript that you can print and use to study offline.
1. The Origins of Taoism: History, the Uncarved Block & Tao-Te Ching
This lesson will seek to explain the rather nebulous founding of Taoism. In doing so, it will explore the concepts of the Tao and the Pu, while also highlighting the role Lao-tzu played in the formation of this ancient Eastern philosophy.
2. Taoism as ''The Way'': Yin and Yang & the Wu-wei Concept
This lesson will focus on several tenets of Taoism. It will explore the First Principle, the yin-yang classification, and the wu wei concept. It will also highlight the Tao Te Ching as one of the most prominent Taoist texts.
3. The Texts of Taoism: Tao-te Ching, Chuang-tzu & the Taoist Canon
This lesson will explain the ancient philosophy of Taoism and its canon of scripture. In doing so, it will highlight the history and content of the Tao-te Ching and the Chuang-tzu, as well as the role of Lao-tzu.
4. Taoism: Chang Ling and the Heavenly Masters
This lesson will explain the development of Taoism as a philosophy and as a structured faith system. In doing so, it will highlight the concept of the Tao as well as the contributions of Lao-tzu, Chang Ling, and Chang Lu.
5. The Classic of Great Peace: The Taoist Doctrine of Salvation
This lesson will explain the importance of the Classic of Great Peace in Taoist history. In doing so, it will highlight the origins of Taoism, the concept of the Tao and the decline of the Han Dynasty.
6. Taoist Alchemy: The Elixir of Immortality
This lesson will seek to explain the link between ancient Taoism and alchemy. In doing so, it will define internal and external alchemy while also discussing the elixir of immortality.
7. Taoist Sects: Heavenly Masters and the Perfect Truth
This lesson will seek to explain the Taoist sects of the Heavenly Masters and the Perfect Truth. In doing so, it will highlight men like Lao-tzu and Chang Tao Ling while also exploring the concept of inner alchemy.
8. Korean Taoism: History, Influence & Expansion
This lesson will focus on Taoism's influence in the country of Korea. In doing so, it will highlight its arrival from China and the phases of popularity and decline it went through. It will also discuss the concept of internal alchemy and the Elixir of Immortality.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Introduction to World Religions: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Origins of Religion in the World
- Indigenous Religions
- History of Hinduism
- History of Buddhism
- History of Confucianism
- History of Shintoism
- History of Islam
- History & Traditions of Judaism
- History of Christianity
- Christian Traditions & Practices
- Religious Movements & Syncretism
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Introduction to World Religions Flashcards