About This Chapter
History of the Renaissance - Chapter Summary
Experience the rebirth of knowledge and art that characterized the Italian Renaissance and observe its impact on Italy's political organization, economy and culture. See how feudalism began to fall apart after the plagues and how wars devastated many parts of Europe, notably the Hundred Years War, the Wars of the Roses and the Spanish Reconquista. The videos cover the topics shown in the list below:
- Sequence of events during the Renaissance
- The Renaissance in Italy and the Medici family
- Beginnings of Parliament and development of banking
- Decline of feudalism and rise of nation states
- The Renaissance in northern Europe and Britain
- Reign of the Valois in France and the life of Leonardo da Vinci
- Yorkists vs. Lancastrians and the rise of the Tudors
- Spain's inquisition and the expulsion of the Muslims
This study guide combines a multi-pronged learning approach with the convenience of a fully mobile format. You can take your work with you even when you travel, and study from any device in any location that allows online access. Whether you're working from a laptop, notebook, tablet or smartphone, these lessons and the accompanying transcripts, quizzes and chapter exams are available to you 24/7.
1. The Renaissance Timeline: Events Overview
In this lesson, we will build an outline of the historical events which flow together to form the time periods of the Renaissance, Reformation, Age of Discovery, and the Elizabethan era.
2. The Italian Renaissance and Italy's Transformation
This lesson will discuss the three main reasons why Italy transformed from a group of competing city-states to the home of the birth of the Renaissance.
3. The House of Medici: Rise and Fall of a Banking Family
This lesson will focus on the Medici family of Florence, Italy. It will explain their rise to power through banking. It will also highlight their influence on the Renaissance era and how they gained influence without violence.
4. The Birth of Parliament: Monarchs vs. the Aristocracy
This lesson will focus on the rise of monarchies during the Renaissance, highlighting the interactions of these monarchies with the church and the aristocracy.
5. The Renaissance Economy: The Rise of Banking
In this lesson, we will discuss the rise of banking and the Renaissance economy. We will highlight the Medici family and the rise of the middle class.
6. The Formation of Modern Nation States
This lesson explains the formation of the modern nation-states. It will highlight how the decline of feudalism, as well as the decline in church power, helped bring about the modern nation-state. It will also feature several monarchs who ruled during these times.
7. The Northern Renaissance
This lesson will focus on the Northern Renaissance. It will contrast the Renaissance of the North with the Italian Renaissance, exploring these differences in the areas of art, politics, and religion.
8. France and the Valois at the End of the 100 Years War
This lesson focuses on France at the end of The Hundred Years War. It will examine the changes to France in the areas of military tactics, feudalism, and its monarchies. It will also highlight the French monarchs of the time period.
9. England's Wars of the Roses
This lesson will focus on England's Wars of the Roses. It will highlight the key figures from both the Houses of York and Lancaster. It will also identify the importance of the divine right of kings.
10. England and the Tudors at the End of the Wars of the Roses
This lesson will focus on the Tudor Dynasty, which came to power after England's Wars of the Roses. It will focus on the contributions of the five Tudor monarchs in the areas of government, religion, economic and the arts.
11. Leonardo da Vinci: Biography
This lesson will focus on the life of Leonardo da Vinci. It will highlight his career as an artist, an inventor, a scientist and a student of the human form. It will also include many of his most famous works.
12. Reconquista and Spanish Inquisition
This lesson will explain the Spanish Reconquista and the Spanish Inquisition. It will focus on the reasons for each, specifically highlighting the role of Ferdinand and Isabella, and the tortures they allowed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Social Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- Technology in Early Human Civilizations
- History of Mesopotamia
- Ancient Egypt
- Ancient China, Africa, India & Americas
- Overview of the Ancient Near East
- Overview of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- The Fall of the Roman Republic
- Overview of the Dark Ages
- Overview of the Early Middle Ages
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- The European Age of Exploration
- Overview of the Reformation
- The Reign of Elizabeth I
- Colonialism & European Influence
- Absolutism & Constitutionalism in Western Europe
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- The French Revolution and Napoleon Bonaparte
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Overview of World History Since 1945
- Early American Civilizations
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- Events in Early United States History
- The Virginia Dynasty
- The Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- America's Reconstruction After the Civil War
- Reconstruction and the Gilded Age in America
- American Urbanization & Industrialization
- The Progressive Era
- American Imperialism at the Turn of the 20th Century
- The Roaring 20s in America
- America and the Great Depression
- World Events & Politics After World War II (1946-1959)
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- US Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- Major US Events in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Recent American History (1992-2013)
- Basics of Human & Cultural Geography
- Basic Geographic Tools
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Earth's Atmosphere
- Basics of Weather & Storms
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- Overview of Oceans & Coastlines
- Weathering & Erosion
- Water Balance
- Effects of Running Water
- Geography of Languages & Material Culture
- Origins of Human Civilizations and Migrations
- Population Growth Challenges
- The Domestication of Plants & Animals
- Understanding Ethnicity & Geography
- Land Resources Geography
- Spatial Processes in Geography
- Understanding Human Settlement Patterns
- Basics of Economics & Geography
- Roles & Functions of Social Institutions
- Political Geography Overview
- Impact of Humans on the Environment
- Basics of Renewable Resources
- Nonrenewable Energy Sources
- Sustaining the Environment
- Food, Agriculture & Conservation
- Solid & Hazardous Waste
- Understanding Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Ethics & Political Processes
- Basic Terms & Concepts for Political Science
- Theorists & Figures in Political Science
- Constitutional Democracy Fundamentals
- Political Ideologies & Forms of Government
- Political Science Reference & Research Tools
- Key Political Documents in the Creation of the U.S.
- Landmark U.S. Supreme Court Decisions
- Electoral Systems
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.
- Fundamentals of Political Culture & Public Opinion
- Civil Liberties in the U.S.
- Civil Rights in the U.S.
- Fundamentals of the Federal Judicial System
- U.S. Presidential Elections & Powers
- The U.S. Congress
- Interest Groups in American Politics
- The Role of Regulatory Agencies
- The Court System in the U.S.
- U.S. Constitutional Law
- Criminal Trial in the U.S. Justice System Overview
- Fundamentals of the Juvenile Justice System
- U.S. Foreign & Defense Policy
- U.S. Federal, State & Local Government Interaction
- Understanding Basic Economics Terms & Concepts
- Market Equilibrium, Supply & Demand
- The Federal Government & the American Economy
- Inflation & Adjustment in Economics
- Understanding Inflation & Unemployment
- Understanding Macroeconomic Equilibrium
- Understanding Banking & Financial Markets
- Resource Planning & Consumer Economics
- Personal Finance Foundations
- Credit & Debt Basics
- Savings & Investments