About This Chapter
History & Philosophy of Physical Education- Chapter Summary
These lessons will detail information about the history and philosophies behind physical education. The text lessons are filled with numerous phrases and terms in bold to emphasize importance. In this chapter, you will review:
- Physical education
- How history shaped physical education
- Goals of physical education
- Issues in physical education
- Laws that affect physical education
- Current trends
We designed this chapter with numerous resources that can benefit you with your studies. The lessons are short but engaging. When you are ready, there are quizzes that will test you on how much you have learned in the lessons. We also have a chapter test at the end. This gives you the chance to test how much you have learned throughout the chapter before moving forward.
1. What is Physical Education? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson you will learn about physical education and how it contributes to total growth and development in youth. You will also gain an understanding of what a quality physical education program looks like.
2. Influence of Historical Events on Physical Education
Physical education has had several philosophical shifts since its inception in Europe in the 1700s. In this lesson, we'll identify and discuss some historical events that have influenced the profession and practice of physical education.
3. Goals & Philosophies of Physical Education
This lesson gives you an overview of the philosophy, goals, purposes, and current trends in physical education. You'll learn how all of this ends up benefiting students in many ways.
4. Issues in Physical Education: Historical, Philosophical & Social
What are some of the current issues in physical education? Check out this lesson to see how physical education has changed over the years and what issues educators are up against today.
5. Issues, Trends & Laws Affecting Physical Education Activities
Physical education courses are a fundamental part of our nation's K-12 school programs. P.E. is a progressive field. This lesson discusses the current issues, trends, and laws affecting physical education activities.
6. Liability & Legal Considerations for Physical Education
In this lesson, you'll learn about the liability and legal considerations for physical education. Discover the common sources of legal liability and specific steps to take in order to reduce accidents and prevent possible legal issues.
7. Current Trends in Physical Education
Back in the day, physical education classes were all about dodge ball, kick ball, and other fun team sports. Today, not so much. The lack of activity in children's free time has meant a new look at how physical education is taught in schools. Read on to find out what this means to crab soccer players today.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Physical Education K-12 (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- Physical Education Curriculum Development
- Instructional Strategies for Physical Education
- Human Growth & Development
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Physical Activity & Fitness
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Anatomy & Exercise Physiology
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Cognitive & Socioemotional Benefits of Physical Activity
- Assessment in Physical Education
- Sports & Recreation
- Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers
- Using Technology in Physical Education
- FTCE Physical Education K-12 Flashcards