About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about the hobbits and humans within The Hobbit will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to explore the traits of these characters. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their studying of the hobbits and humans in The Hobbit
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Hobbits & Humans in The Hobbit practice exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Hobbits & Humans in The Hobbit practice exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the hobbits and humans in The Hobbit for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- An examination of Bilbo Baggins
- The characters of Bard and Beorn
- The Master of Laketown's role in the story
1. Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins is the main character of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit'. He lives a quiet and simple life until an unexpected adventure changes everything. Read more about the hobbit Bilbo Baggins now.
2. Bard in The Hobbit
Bard is a bowman, a family man, and a leader. He has pride in his family and his people. His strong nature puts him at odds the the Master of Lake Town, but his belief in the old stories and his heritage is what helps save his people and his family.
3. Beorn in The Hobbit
Bilbo and the dwarves meet many interesting characters on their journey. One such helpful creature is Beorn, the somewhat mysterious man who can speak with the animals. But who is Beorn? Let's take a closer look at Beorn in J.R.R. Tolkien's ''The Hobbit''.
4. Master of Lake-town in The Hobbit
The Master of Lake-town in The Hobbit is a dichotomy of behavior. He is a coward, loyal to his friend Bard the Bowman, surly to the people of his village, and yet still trying to be a leader in his own way.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Hobbit Study Guide course