About This Chapter
TEAS Test: Properties of Matter - Chapter Summary
This chapter goes over various properties of matter, making sure to cover everything on the subject that you'll need to know when taking the TEAS Test. You'll learn about relevant chemical principles, transformations, and more. By the time you finish reviewing the chapter, you'll have studied all of the following:
- The significance of the atom
- Atomic and mass number
- The octet rule and Lewis structures
- The periodic table
- Different states of matter
- Phase shifts and heating curves
The dashboard area can help you stay organized through the course of your studying, allowing you a quick-glance at your progress through the material and your recent activities. While there, you'll also have the opportunity to check out relevant practice quizzes and ask questions of our subject-matter experts if you're struggling with any aspect of the content.
1. The Atom
Tune into this lesson to find out what matters about matter. What exactly is an atom? And, how do the atoms that make up the elements in the periodic table differ from one another?
2. Atomic Number and Mass Number
Atoms are the basic building blocks of everything around you. In order to really understand how atoms combine to form molecules, it's necessary to be familiar with their structure. In this lesson, we'll dissect atoms so we can see just what really goes into those little building blocks of matter.
3. The Periodic Table: Properties of Groups and Periods
How is the periodic table like the map you used on your last road trip? In this lesson, you will be introduced to the periodic table, the road map of chemists. We will discuss how the elements are organized and how you can use this organization to identify some of their major physical properties.
4. Chemical Reactions and Balancing Chemical Equations
In this lesson, you'll learn how to balance a chemical reaction equation using the conservation of matter law. You'll also learn how to write both word and formula equations, what the subscripts after a letter mean and what the numbers in front of compounds mean.
5. Classifying Substances by Their Physical Properties
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what physical properties are and use them to classify some common substances. A short quiz will follow.
6. States of Matter: Solids, Liquids, Gases & Plasma
Learn the four states of matter in the universe: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. Learn about the differences in shape and volume among the four states, which of the states is the most common and why plasma conducts electricity.
7. Phase Changes and Heating Curves
Learn the phases - gas, liquid, solid and plasma. Learn what a phase diagram is and what terms describe the movement between phases: melting, sublimating, freezing, vaporization, condensation, and deposition. Discover why heating curves have plateaus, what a phase transition is, and what happens during this transition.
8. Osmosis, Diffusion and Saturation
The cells in our bodies are in constant flux through the processes of osmosis and diffusion. Learn about how saturation levels force change, and why we're lucky they do.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TEAS Test Study Guide course
- TEAS Test: Reading Analysis
- TEAS Test: Passage Comprehension
- TEAS Test: Analyzing Sources
- TEAS Test: Informational Source Comprehension
- TEAS Test: Grammar
- TEAS Test: Writing & Word Meanings in Context
- TEAS Test: Spelling
- TEAS Test: Punctuation
- TEAS Test: Sentence Structure
- TEAS Test: Mathematic Calculations
- TEAS Test: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- TEAS Test: Numbers & Operations
- TEAS Test: Algebraic Applications
- TEAS Test: Data Interpretation
- TEAS Test: Measurement
- TEAS Test: General Anatomy & Physiology
- TEAS Test: Reproductive System
- TEAS Test: Life Science
- TEAS Test: Genetics
- TEAS Test: Scientific Reasoning
- TEAS Test Flashcards