About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help summarizing or reviewing the chapters in Holes will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the novel's events and conflicts. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the novel's key plot points
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Holes Chapter Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Holes Chapter Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about all fifty chapters in Holes for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Summaries the novel's beginning, middle and final chapters
- Explanations of significant plot points, conflicts and character actions
1. Holes Chapters 1-4 Summaries
Stanley Yelnats, a very unlucky boy from a very unlucky family, is forced to serve time for a crime he didn't do. He is led away to Camp Green Lake, a place not nearly as nice as the name suggests.
2. Holes Chapters 5-8 Summaries
Life sure is interesting for Stanley Yelnats at Camp Green Lake. Even though he's trying to getting used to his new life at the juvenile detention center, his mind can't escape what brought him there in the first place: The Yelnats Family Curse.
3. Holes Chapters 9-12 Summaries
In this lesson, we'll look at Chapters 9-12 of ''Holes'' by Louis Sachar. We'll get a glimpse of Stanley's first few days at Camp Green Lake and how he settles in with the other boys.
4. Holes Chapters 13-16 Summaries
While Stanley finds his place in the social circle at Camp Green Lake, something isn't as it originally seemed when a discovery is made. Read on to learn the interesting reaction from the warden and the revelation made by Stanley.
5. Holes Chapters 17-20 Summaries
Somehow Camp Green Lake manages to get harder for Stanley. In Chapters 17-20 of Louis Sachar's 'Holes', Stanley once again finds himself at the wrong place at the wrong time, and none of the campers come to his defense.
6. Holes Chapters 21-24 Summaries
In this lesson, we will continue to follow Stanley's life at Camp Green Lake in ''Holes''. In Chapters 21-24, we learn some of the history of Camp Green Lake, Stanley forms a bond with Zero, and Mr. Sir has an unpleasant reminder of his encounter with the warden.
7. Holes Chapters 25-28 Summaries
In the present, Stanley continues to be the victim of Mr. Sir's cruel ways, as Mr. Sir seeks revenge for the Warden's mistreatment of him, and Stanley connects with Zero over tutoring. Flashbacks in these chapters discuss the tragic story of Kissin' Kate Barlow and her connection to Green Lake.
8. Holes Chapters 29-32 Summaries
In Chapters 29-32 in 'Holes,' while some of the puzzle pieces are coming together for Stanley, major questions remain and new ones are introduced. For example, Stanley keeps asking himself, 'What happened to Zero?'
9. Holes Chapters 33-36 Summaries
Life at Camp Green Lake isn't exactly a vacation, but Stanley realizes it may not be so bad when he runs away in the desert without water. In this lesson, Stanley and a surprise accomplice try to make their way to safety and a place he's always wondered about.
10. Holes Chapters 37-40 Summaries
Stanley and Zero are still on the run, and they find themselves in a very difficult spot in Chapters 37-40. They turn to an old cure that makes everything okay again - but not before the story takes another twist that may change everything!
11. Holes Chapters 41-44 Summaries
Stanley and Zero bond while they are living out on the mountain and decide their next move. Stanley comes up with a genius plan, but will they be able to execute it? Read on to see what obstacles get in their way and see how these resilient boys adapt!
12. Holes Chapters 45-47 Summaries
Life takes some very unexpected turns for Stanley and Zero after they are caught by the Warden and the counselors. Read on to learn what happens to the boys and Kissin' Kate Barlow's treasure.
13. Holes Chapters 48-50 Summaries
The final chapters of 'Holes' tie up all the loose ends for readers. The tide turns for both the Yelnats and Zeroni families, and the Warden gets what she deserves.
Holes Vocabulary Words Flashcards
Are you reading 'Holes' by Louis Sachar? Take a look at these flashcards, which can help you to learn and study some of the less widely known vocabulary words from this book.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.