About This Chapter
Holidays Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Before you begin a lesson on holidays in your social studies class, go through this online chapter to get some helpful lesson plans on this subject. Each lesson plan that you can find here will help you prepare for teaching your students about a major holiday, its history and its significance. This chapter contains lesson plans on:
- Christmas traditions around the world
- The history of Halloween
- Chinese New Year
- The Day of the Dead
If you want to help your students learn about these topics, you can also use the video lessons included in this chapter as helpful study guides.
How It Helps
- Background information: Provides your students with the historical backgrounds of each of these holidays
- Cultural traditions: Analyzes the different traditions associated with these holidays around the world
- Symbol explanations: Explains the meanings behind different signs and symbols associated with these holidays that your students may not be familiar with
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning holiday lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific holiday topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your social studies class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related holiday lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important sociological concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant holiday-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Holidays Around the World Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce your students to different holidays that are celebrated around the world. Through the use of an informative text lesson and several fun activities, your students will learn the uniqueness of holidays celebrated by different cultures.
2. Major Holidays Around the World
Holidays are a time for celebration and gathering with family and friends. This lesson will take a look at major holidays that are celebrated around the world, and provide a brief description of the significance of each one.
3. National Holiday Lesson Plan
What is a national holiday? This lesson plan uses a text lesson to explain the purpose and celebration of national holidays. An activity connects students with the meanings of each national holiday.
4. Mardi Gras Lesson Plan
Teach your students about Mardi Gras with help from this lesson plan. Students will read about the history, popular traditions, and famous celebrations of Mardi Gras before applying what they've learned to an activity.
5. St. Patrick's Day Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students all about St. Patrick's Day. Students will read an informational lesson detailing who St. Patrick was and the history of the holiday, discuss and use nonfiction reading strategies, then apply learning to a fun activity.
6. Rosh Hashanah Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students read about common Jewish traditions during the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, and then experience recreations of those same traditions in the classroom.
7. Columbus Day Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about Columbus Day. Students start off reading a text lesson describing who Columbus was and his journey to discovery. Cooperative learning, discussion of material and a quiz help student learning stick.
8. Mexican Holidays Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about five popular Mexican holidays. Students will read about each holiday in a text lesson, discuss and connect to content, then experience a Mexican holiday first-hand. Finish with a quiz to check understanding.
9. Mexican Holidays: Traditions & Celebrations
Mexico is a nation that knows how to celebrate its holidays. In this lesson, we'll explore some of the biggest holidays in Mexico and see how they are commemorated year after year.
10. National Flag Day of Canada Lesson Plan
If you're teaching about holidays, this lesson is a great way to learn about Canada's National Flag Day. The lesson includes activities to create timelines and conduct group debates as students explore the historical events surrounding the holiday.
11. National Flag Day of Canada: History & Facts
Learn about National Flag of Canada Day, a Canadian holiday commemorating the replacement of the Canadian Red Ensign with the maple leaf flag that we all recognize today. Choosing the flag brought up big debates over what it meant to be Canadian.
12. Memorial Day Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this lesson plan to increase your students' understanding of Memorial Day. Students will read a text lesson that explains the history of the holiday and ways to celebrate, then apply learning in active ways.
13. Memorial Day Lesson Plan
Educate your students about Memorial Day with this lesson plan. They will study a text lesson, take a related quiz to follow up, and participate in an activity to reinforce concepts about Memorial Day.
14. Memorial Day: Origin, History & Meaning
This lesson discusses the origin, history, and meaning of the holiday of Memorial Day, as celebrated in the United States of America. It also covers the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
15. Labor Day Lesson Plan for Elementary School
What is Labor Day and why is it celebrated? This lesson plan uses a text lesson to explain the origin and purpose of Labor Day. An activity gives students a chance to celebrate American workers.
16. Labor Day Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce your students to the history behind Labor Day. After reading a text lesson, students will use the Internet to learn more about labor unions and then give a presentation of their research.
17. Arbor Day Lesson Plan
Educate your students about Arbor Day with this lesson plan. They will study a text lesson, take an accompanying follow-up quiz, and participate in four activities to reinforce material that is newly learned.
18. Arbor Day: History, Meaning & Importance
Arbor Day is an internationally recognized celebration, but why do we recognize it? In this lesson, we'll check out the history and significance of this day, and see how it's changed over time.
19. Veterans Day Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Students may have heard of Veterans Day, but do they know why this holiday is celebrated? In this lesson plan, students will learn the history behind this special day, and they will participate in activities that honor our nation's veterans.
20. Independence Day Activities for High School
Independence Day is a national holiday in America. It celebrates America's Declaration of Independence. These activities are designed for high school students who are looking for fun ways to observe the holiday.
21. Mother's Day Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Mother's Day is a holiday observed in honor and celebration of mothers. This lesson plan teaches students about the history and significance of Mother's Day. An activity prepares students for Mother's Day.
22. Remembrance Day Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is a tool for helping students learn about Remembrance Day. Students will understand the meaning behind the holiday and learn about how it is celebrated in Britain.
23. Remembrance Day: Origins & Facts
What is Remembrance Day? In this lesson, we are going to explore this popular holiday, see where it is celebrated, and examine the traditional ways to commemorate it.
24. Chinese New Year Art & Craft Activities
Chinese New Year is an important holiday filled with red lanterns, giant dragons, and more. This lesson includes art and craft activities that will engage your students and help them learn about this special time of year.
25. Day of the Dead Lesson Plan
Have your students heard of the Day of the Dead? This lesson plan uses a fact-filled text lesson and an activity to explain this Mexican day of remembrance to students.
26. Father's Day Lesson Plan for Preschool
This lesson plan will help you introduce Father's Day to your preschool students. Students will discuss the holiday, talk about their traditions, and express what it means to be a father.
27. Easter Lesson Plan
Easter is a popular holiday in many countries, and with this lesson plan your students will learn more about its history and the customs associated with it.
28. Cinco De Mayo Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses a text-based lesson, class discussion and a hands-on group activity to introduce the holiday Cinco de Mayo to your students. An extension assignment allows students to explore other international holidays.
29. Grandparents Day Activities for Kids
Celebrating grandparents can be fun for students of all ages. There are many ways that students can be encouraged to celebrate, including activities that can be done both with and for their grandparents.
30. Christmas Writing Activities
Writing is a key part of every school curriculum. In this lesson you'll find ideas to use the Christmas holiday to practice writing personal letters, narratives, journal entries, and research essays.
31. Vaisakhi Activities for Kids
Vaisakhi is an exciting celebration in Hinduism and Sikhism that includes colorful attire, delicious food, energetic dance, and traditional music. Use these activities to help upper elementary students understand holiday events and their meaning.
32. Rosh Hashanah Activities
Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year. There are many different aspects of this holiday for students to explore, such as the rituals and food. These activities are best for upper elementary and middle school students.
33. Veterans Day Activities
These Veteran's Day activities include learning about veterans, learning from veterans, and showing appreciation to veterans. The activities can be adapted for any elementary aged class.
34. Mother's Day Project Ideas
Mother's Day is a great opportunity to show how much parent support is appreciated. These projects provide creative and memorable gifts for students to give for Mother's Day.
35. Easter Art Project Ideas
In the elementary school curriculum, holidays and seasons lend themselves to many lessons. In this resource, find art projects for your elementary level students to complete around Easter.
36. Chinese New Year Unit Plan
Help your middle school students experience the Chinese New Year in all its glory, including music and art! This unit guides learning through the hallmarks of this celebratory time in Chinese culture.
37. Mother's Day Math Activities
Like other holidays, Mother's Day makes a great extension to change-up your normal math routine. There are options for activities from preschool through upper elementary school in this resource.
38. Grandparents Day Writing Activities
Grandparents Day can be a great chance for students to explore family history, identity, and personal relationships. These writing activities are designed to be completed in class with relatively little outside work.
39. St. Patrick's Day Activities for Preschoolers
Are you planning a St. Patrick's Day theme for your preschoolers this March? Use these St. Patrick's Day activities, which can be adapted to accommodate different skills, to have your students work on letters, numbers, fine motor skills and more.
40. Labor Day Activities for Kids
Labor Day is a national holiday celebrated in September each year. But what is Labor Day all about? Use the activities in this asset to help students understand the meaning behind this holiday.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the World Cultures Lesson Plans & Resources course
- World Religions & Cultures Lesson Plans
- Winter Holidays Lesson Plans & Activities
- Thanksgiving Lesson Plans & Activities
- Halloween Lesson Plans & Activities
- United Kingdom Cultures Lesson Plans & Resources
- Native American Culture & Religion Lesson Plans
- French Culture Lesson Plans & Resources
- Hispanic Culture Lesson Plans