About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Holt Geometry's Trigonometry chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the trigonometry topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Finding tangent ratios
- Solving problems with sines and cosines
- Extending ratios used in trigonometry
- Using the laws of sines and cosines
- Properties of vectors
- Plotting rotations
Holt Geometry is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Practice Finding the Trigonometric Ratios
So you know what sine, cosine and tangent are. Great! But how do you use them? Find out how in this lesson as we find missing sides and angles using trigonometric ratios.
2. Trigonometry: Sine and Cosine
Learn an easy trick to help you solve trigonometry problems, including problems with sine, cosine and inverse trig functions. At the end of this lesson, you'll know what SohCahToa means and how to use it.
3. List of the Basic Trig Identities
There are specific trig functions that have very special and very simple relationships with each other. Learn the main one and how you can use it to understand the others.
4. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
Where do terms like sine, cosine and tangent come from? In this lesson, we'll learn about how similarity with right triangles leads to trigonometric ratios.
5. Law of Sines: Definition and Application
Don't get stuck trying to find missing sides or angles in a triangle. Use the Law of Sines to rescue you from any perilous triangle in which you have just a few pieces of information.
6. Law of Cosines: Definition and Application
In this lesson, we'll learn how to solve problems involving three sides and one angle in a triangle. The Law of Cosines, a modification of the Pythagorean Theorem, will save the day.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Geometry Chapter 1: Exploring Geometry
- Holt Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning in Geometry
- Holt Geometry Chapter 3: Parallels and Polygons
- Holt Geometry Chapter 4: Triangle Congruence
- Holt Geometry Chapter 5: Perimeter and Area
- Holt Geometry Chapter 6: Shapes in Space
- Holt Geometry Chapter 7: Surface Area and Volume
- Holt Geometry Chapter 8: Similar Shapes
- Holt Geometry Chapter 9: Circles
- Holt Geometry Chapter 12: A Closer Look at Proof and Logic