About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Holt Geometry's Surface Area and Volume chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the surface area and volume topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Methods for finding the volume of basic shapes
- Methods for finding the surface area of cylinders, cubes and pyramids
- Methods for finding the area and volume of prisms, pyramids and cylinders
- Methods for finding the area and volume of cones and spheres
Holt Geometry is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Calculate the Volumes of Basic Shapes
Squares pegs = square holes. Triangular pegs = triangular holes. But where does a sphere go? In this lesson, review volumes of common shapes while contrasting a sphere and a cylinder - after all, they both go into the circular hole... right?
2. How to Find Surface Area of a Cylinder
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula you can use to find the surface area of a cylinder. Learn the measurements that you'll need as well as how to use them.
3. How to Find Surface Area of a Cube and a Rectangular Prism
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the formula for the surface area of a rectangular prism. You will know what measurements you need to use it and how you can apply it to a cube as well.
4. How to Find Surface Area of a Pyramid
In this video lesson, we will learn how to take any pyramid, whether it's a pyramid in Egypt or a little toy pyramid, and calculate how much paint we will need to paint it. Learn the formula and what is behind it.
5. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
6. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
7. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
8. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
9. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Geometry Chapter 1: Exploring Geometry
- Holt Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning in Geometry
- Holt Geometry Chapter 3: Parallels and Polygons
- Holt Geometry Chapter 4: Triangle Congruence
- Holt Geometry Chapter 5: Perimeter and Area
- Holt Geometry Chapter 6: Shapes in Space
- Holt Geometry Chapter 8: Similar Shapes
- Holt Geometry Chapter 9: Circles
- Holt Geometry Chapter 10: Trigonometry
- Holt Geometry Chapter 12: A Closer Look at Proof and Logic