About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Alcohol chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the alcohol topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Alcohol consumption in the U.S.
- Long-term effects of alcohol use
- How alcohol affects the blood
- Causes and symptoms of alcoholism
- Programs for the treatment of alcoholism
- Alcohol use among teens
Holt is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Alcohol Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
You more than likely have had alcohol once in your life. At least that's what statistics point to. In fact, this lesson will be chock full of statistics about alcohol use and abuse in the United States.
2. The Effects of Alcohol: Physiological, Behavioral & Long-Term
If you've ever wondered why men seem to tolerate alcohol better than women or what alcohol does to the body and mind, then tune into this lesson for more information.
3. The Pharmacology of Alcohol & the Effects on Blood
A person's blood alcohol level is influenced by the way the ethanol in an alcoholic beverage is processed by the body. This process is why blood alcohol levels can increase faster than they can decrease.
4. Alcoholism: Causes, Symptoms, Effects & Treatment
Alcohol can be a really terrible thing when it is abused. The problems it causes do not just damage the user but their friends, family, and society as a whole. You'll learn about why alcoholism occurs and how it can be addressed.
5. Prevention and Treatment Programs for Alcoholism
Dealing with the effects of alcohol abuse and alcoholism in society includes prevention of the problem, treatment when it does occur, and support for recovering alcoholics. Learn more about how this takes place as you explore this lesson.
6. Teens & Alcohol: Trends, Effects & Consequences
In this lesson we'll go over some of the warning signs of teen alcohol use. We'll also look at the health and social consequences for the individual. Lastly, we'll explore treatment options for alcohol abuse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Lifetime Health: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 1: Health & Your Wellness
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 2: Skills for a Healthy Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 3: Self-Esteem & Mental Health
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 4: Managing Stress & Coping with Loss
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 5: Preventing Violence & Abuse
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 6: Physical Fitness for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 7: Nutrition for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 8: Weight Management & Eating Behaviors
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 9: Understanding Drugs & Medicines
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 11: Tobacco
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 12: Illegal Drugs
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 13: Preventing Infectious Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 14: Lifestyle Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 15: Other Diseases & Disabilities
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 16: Adolescence & Adulthood
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 17: Marriage, Parenthood & Families
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 18: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Development
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 19: Building Responsible Relationships
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 20: Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 21: HIV & AIDS