About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Tobacco chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the tobacco topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Tobacco use in the U.S.
- Nicotine addiction and short term effects of using tobacco
- Long-term consequences of smoking
- Environmental effects of smoking
- Tobacco abuse treatment programs
- The benefits of smoking cessation
Holt is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Tobacco Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
This lesson will discuss important statistics related to smoking, including how age, ethnicity, education, and geographic location influence tobacco use, as well as the financial and health-related implications of smoking.
2. Tobacco Use: Addiction and Short-Term Effects
In this lesson, you will learn about why it is that smoking is so addictive and what the short-term consequences of tobacco use will result in. You will also find out how nicotine plays an important role in all of this.
3. Smoking: Long-Term Consequences
In this lesson, we will look at why smoking is so harmful to your health from a chemical perspective. After that, we will discuss exactly what smoking causes in the long run. You'll be surprised to learn that lung cancer is the least of your concerns.
4. Smoking: Effects on Others & the Environment
This lesson will hopefully dispel some myths surrounding secondhand smoke and how it affects people who do not smoke. You'll even learn about the fact that there are two different kinds of secondhand smoke.
5. Tobacco Abuse Prevention & Treatment Programs
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the many different strategies people and communities can employ to prevent the use of tobacco products as well as what key components treatment programs for tobacco use encompass.
6. Quitting Smoking: Benefits & Tips
In this lesson, we'll explain the common reasons doctors suggest you quit smoking. We'll also cover tips for how to achieve this goal and the benefits of leading a smoke-free life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Lifetime Health: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 1: Health & Your Wellness
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 2: Skills for a Healthy Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 3: Self-Esteem & Mental Health
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 4: Managing Stress & Coping with Loss
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 5: Preventing Violence & Abuse
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 6: Physical Fitness for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 7: Nutrition for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 8: Weight Management & Eating Behaviors
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 9: Understanding Drugs & Medicines
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 10: Alcohol
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 12: Illegal Drugs
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 13: Preventing Infectious Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 14: Lifestyle Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 15: Other Diseases & Disabilities
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 16: Adolescence & Adulthood
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 17: Marriage, Parenthood & Families
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 18: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Development
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 19: Building Responsible Relationships
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 20: Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 21: HIV & AIDS