About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Lifestyle Diseases chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the lifestyle diseases topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- What lifestyle diseases are
- Types, diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease
- How cancer starts and spreads
- The definition for cancer syndrome
- Cancer treatment options, effectiveness and side effects
- Risk factors, diagnoses and treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes
Holt is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Lifestyle Diseases: Definition & Types
In this lesson we'll describe what lifestyle diseases are and what makes them different from other diseases. Then, we'll look at three examples in detail: addiction, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.
2. Different Kinds of Cardiovascular Disease: Definitions & Examples
So many problems can occur in the cardiovascular system of your body. Some of them mainly involve the heart and others the blood vessels, but one big one involves both at the same time!
3. Diagnosing and Treating Cardiovascular Disease
This lesson will describe the many different ways cardiovascular diseases can be diagnosed and treated. For example, you'll learn the differences between angioplasty and angiography.
4. What Causes Cancer?
This lesson will discuss a model of cancer formation as well as some things that can cause cancer. You'll learn about initiation, promotion, and progression as well as what occurs during each step.
5. Cancer Syndromes & Genetic Risk Factors for Cancer
This lesson describes something called cancer syndrome or family cancer syndrome, as well as the important clues that can help it be detected and two examples of such a condition.
6. Metastasis: How Cancer Spreads
This lesson will describe the concept of cancer spreading around the body, or metastasis, as well as why it may occur, how it occurs, why it may fail, and how your blood vessels play a critical role in this process.
7. The General Treatment Strategies For Cancer
This lesson will describe the three traditional methods of treating cancer. These include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy as well as their potential uses, benefits, and side-effects. We'll also touch on other ways by which we can treat cancer.
8. Type 1 Diabetes: Risk Factors, Signs & Treatment
Diabetes affects 26 million people (nearly 9% of the population) in the United States. But not all cases of diabetes are the same. The focus of this lesson is type 1 diabetes. We'll learn what it is, why it occurs, and how it affects the body in both the short- and long-term.
9. Type 2 Diabetes: Risk Factors, Signs & Treatment
As many as 57 million people in the United States are on the path to becoming diabetic. Over 90% of them will be type 2 diabetics. But, what is this disease, and why has it become so prevalent? This lesson explores the risk factors, symptoms, and treatment of type 2 diabetes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Lifetime Health: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 1: Health & Your Wellness
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 2: Skills for a Healthy Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 3: Self-Esteem & Mental Health
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 4: Managing Stress & Coping with Loss
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 5: Preventing Violence & Abuse
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 6: Physical Fitness for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 7: Nutrition for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 8: Weight Management & Eating Behaviors
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 9: Understanding Drugs & Medicines
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 10: Alcohol
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 11: Tobacco
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 12: Illegal Drugs
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 13: Preventing Infectious Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 15: Other Diseases & Disabilities
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 16: Adolescence & Adulthood
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 17: Marriage, Parenthood & Families
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 18: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Development
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 19: Building Responsible Relationships
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 20: Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 21: HIV & AIDS