About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Reproduction, Pregnancy & Development chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the reproduction, pregnancy and development topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Male and female reproductive anatomy
- Female and male genital development
- Zygote formation and early embryonic development
- Embryo implantation and the formation of the placenta
- Fetal development through all three trimesters
Holt is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs & Anatomy
Ever wonder what the inside of a male looks like? Find out in this lesson that explores the inner workings of the male reproductive system and the pathway that sperm takes.
2. Male Reproductive System: Accessory Gland Functions
Males require a number of different glands to aid in the production of semen. Find out more about those glands in this lesson covering the male accessory glands.
3. Male Reproductive System: External Anatomy
Learn about the structure and function of the external reproductive structures of the male. This includes study of the scrotal sac, the parts of the penis and the erectile tissues.
4. Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy
Ever wonder where a female produces her eggs or how they get from the ovary to the uterus? Find out in this lesson about the internal reproductive anatomy of females.
5. External Anatomy of the Female Reproductive System
We all know that men and women are different. But just how different are they? Learn a little more about the differences between men and women in this lesson on female external reproductive anatomy.
6. Fertilization and Zygote Formation: Definition and Processes
Follow the male's sperm and the female's egg on their way to meet each other in this lesson that takes you through the process of fertilization in humans. Learn about the obstacles the sperm must get through before it can fertilize the egg.
7. Early Embryonic Development: The Morula and Blastula
This lesson on the early stages of mammalian development covers the processes following fertilization, such as cleavage, the morula formation and blastula formation. Watch to learn what the inner cell mass, trophoblast cells and blastocyst are, as well as their functions within embryonic development.
8. Embryo Implantation and Placenta Formation
This lesson will cover the journey the mammalian embryo first makes after it has been fertilized. Learn how maternal blood moves through the embryo, and how the placenta is formed.
9. The Placenta and the Fetus: Structure and Function
Have you ever wondered how a baby eats before it's born or if babies go to the bathroom while still inside their mother? In this lesson, you will learn about the placenta and how it works to ensure a fetus stays well-nourished and healthy before birth.
10. Amniotic Fluid, The Amnion, and the Yolk Sac
From a chick developing inside an egg to a human baby growing in its mother's womb, all developing vertebrates rely on a support system to protect them, feed them, supply them with oxygen, remove wastes, and do much, much more to ensure that the embryo grows and develops into a fully functional organism. In this lesson, you'll learn about the different parts of that support system and some of the things that they do.
11. External Genital Development in Males and Females
The developed genitals of a male look much different than the developed genitals of a female. However, they both grow from identical sets of tissues. Learn more about external genital development and find out how and when the tissue changes.
12. Fetal Development in the First Trimester: Stages & Timeline
We all know it takes 9 months for the baby to develop inside the mother's womb, but have you ever thought about how or when all those different organs and systems appear? When does the fetal heart start beating or the brain develop? Find out in this lesson covering the first trimester of pre-natal development.
13. Second Trimester Fetal Development
The growth and development of a baby is an amazingly detailed and complex process. It starts with a ball of cells, which grows all the way to a full grown, eight pound baby in nine months! In this lesson, learn about what happens during the second trimester of pregnancy.
14. Third Trimester Fetal Development
This is it - the last step, the last few months before the birth of a baby! Learn about the changes the developing fetus goes through during the third and final trimester.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Lifetime Health: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 1: Health & Your Wellness
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 2: Skills for a Healthy Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 3: Self-Esteem & Mental Health
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 4: Managing Stress & Coping with Loss
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 5: Preventing Violence & Abuse
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 6: Physical Fitness for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 7: Nutrition for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 8: Weight Management & Eating Behaviors
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 9: Understanding Drugs & Medicines
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 10: Alcohol
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 11: Tobacco
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 12: Illegal Drugs
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 13: Preventing Infectious Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 14: Lifestyle Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 15: Other Diseases & Disabilities
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 16: Adolescence & Adulthood
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 17: Marriage, Parenthood & Families
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 19: Building Responsible Relationships
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 20: Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 21: HIV & AIDS