About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Self-Esteem & Mental Health chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the self-esteem and mental health topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Definitions for self-esteem, self-understanding and self-concept
- Definition and types of communication
- Mental health from childhood to adolescence
- Adolescent emotional health
- Causes of mental disorders
- Anxiety, mood, dissociative and somatoform disorders
- Substance dependence and abuse
- Schizophrenia and personality disorders
Holt is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What Is Self-Esteem? - Definition & How to Improve It
Feeling confident about yourself is called self-esteem. During the end of the 20th century, a self-esteem movement was geared at making children feel good about themselves. But did it work? What really improves a person's self-esteem?
2. Self-Understanding & Self-Concept: How We Perceive Ourselves
Answering the question 'Who am I?' can lead to a solid self-concept and self-understanding. Watch this lesson to find out more about the difference in these two things, as well as the factors that go into each of them.
3. What is Communication? - Definition & Importance
Any task or transaction that requires more than one person can only be successfully completed with communication. In this lesson, you'll learn what communication is, types of communication and the importance of communication.
4. Types of Communication: Interpersonal, Non-Verbal, Written & Oral
This lesson distinguishes between the various methods of communication used by managers, including interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, written communication and oral communication.
5. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
6. Mental Health & Psychopathology: Definition & Dimensions
In this lesson, we will explore some of the basic ways that we differentiate between mental health and psychopathology. Included in this is looking at social, behavioral, thought, and emotional processes.
7. Emotional Health in Adolescence: Definition & Changes
In this lesson, we will define what it means to be emotionally healthy, discuss emotional changes that take place during adolescence, and look at unhealthy emotional issues which might merit consulting a professional.
8. What is a Mental Disorder? - Definition & Treatment
Not all painful wounds are visible on the outside. Just like cancer or other illnesses, mental disorders can affect a person's whole life. In this lesson we will discover how mental disorders are defined, diagnosed, caused and treated.
9. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Phobias & Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
When do we cross the boundary between natural worry and the debilitating types of anxiety associated with disorders? In this lesson, you'll explore some common anxiety disorders and their potential causes.
10. Mood Disorders: Depression, Dysthymic Disorder & Bipolar Disorder
Does feeling sad automatically mean someone is depressed? Are there different kinds of depression? What are mood disorders? This lesson will take a look at the answers to those questions.
11. Dissociative Disorders: Amnesia, Dissociative Fugue & Split Personalities
There are times when the human brain can actually separate its different parts, sometimes as a defense mechanism. These are known as dissociative disorders. This lesson takes a closer look at these kinds of disorders and how they impact the mind.
12. Somatoform Disorders: Definition, Types & Examples
What's the mind's relationship with the body? In this lesson we'll examine how some physical symptoms could actually be caused by psychological factors.
13. Substance Abuse & Substance Dependence: Definition & Characteristics
Many people have a drink now and then, but how do you know if you have a substance-related disorder? This lesson will help you learn the difference between just having a drink and having an actual problem.
14. Schizophrenia: Definition & Overview
Our perception of schizophrenia is largely shaped by what we see in the movies. Is schizophrenia more than just a 'hallucination' disease? Check out this lesson to find out about the different types of schizophrenia.
15. Personality Disorders: Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic, Schizoid & Antisocial
Will the Personality Disorder Crime Force make it out of the office today? In this lesson, you'll learn about each superhero's personality disorder as a late delivery of donuts sets off some of their common behaviors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Lifetime Health: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 1: Health & Your Wellness
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 2: Skills for a Healthy Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 4: Managing Stress & Coping with Loss
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 5: Preventing Violence & Abuse
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 6: Physical Fitness for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 7: Nutrition for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 8: Weight Management & Eating Behaviors
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 9: Understanding Drugs & Medicines
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 10: Alcohol
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 11: Tobacco
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 12: Illegal Drugs
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 13: Preventing Infectious Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 14: Lifestyle Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 15: Other Diseases & Disabilities
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 16: Adolescence & Adulthood
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 17: Marriage, Parenthood & Families
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 18: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Development
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 19: Building Responsible Relationships
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 20: Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 21: HIV & AIDS