About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Preventing Violence & Abuse chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the violence and abuse prevention topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Conflict resolution
- Factors of violence in America
- Differences between unintentional and intentional injuries
- Prevention of injuries that are intentional
- Kinds of child abuse
- How sexual harassment and abuse impact adolescent development
- School violence prevention
Holt is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Conflict Resolution Activities for Kids
This lesson will address the importance of teaching children to resolve conflicts peacefully and will offer a three-step process for learning the basic skills of conflict resolution.
2. Violence in America: Societal & Personal Factors
More than just economic factors play a role in the potential for someone to commit a violent crime. Some other types of factors that may contribute to someone committing a violent crime are discussed here as well.
3. Unintentional Injuries vs. Intentional Injuries: Definitions & Differences
It was an accident! We've all exclaimed that. Accident or not, intentional and unintentional injuries occur on a second by second basis in the U.S. We'll explore which ones result in tragedy most often.
4. Strategies to Prevent Intentional Injuries
Violent crimes occur on a daily basis, but that does not mean you have to be a victim. This lesson will outline some basic, but important tips and strategies you can use to keep yourself safe at home and in the outer world.
5. Child Abuse and Neglect: 4 Major Types, Characteristics & Effects
Child abuse is a major problem in our world today. Counselors must be educated in the topic, particularly the four types of abuse, their effects, and what to focus on in therapy.
6. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
7. School Violence Prevention: Programs & Strategies
School violence has a major impact on students' learning. But what is school violence and what can schools do to provide a safe learning environment? In this lesson, you will learn about various types of school violence and strategies and programs schools have put in place to prevent it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Lifetime Health: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 1: Health & Your Wellness
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 2: Skills for a Healthy Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 3: Self-Esteem & Mental Health
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 4: Managing Stress & Coping with Loss
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 6: Physical Fitness for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 7: Nutrition for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 8: Weight Management & Eating Behaviors
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 9: Understanding Drugs & Medicines
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 10: Alcohol
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 11: Tobacco
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 12: Illegal Drugs
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 13: Preventing Infectious Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 14: Lifestyle Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 15: Other Diseases & Disabilities
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 16: Adolescence & Adulthood
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 17: Marriage, Parenthood & Families
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 18: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Development
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 19: Building Responsible Relationships
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 20: Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 21: HIV & AIDS