About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Understanding Drugs & Medicines chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the drugs and medicine topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Why people use drugs
- Types of drugs
- Interactions of drugs
- Methods of taking drugs
- Drug abuse treatment
- Effects of drugs on the brain and nervous system
Holt is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Why Do People Use Drugs?
In this lesson, we'll explore some of the reasons people use drugs. We'll look at four different examples of drug use, including prescription drugs, stimulants, alcohol, and marijuana.
2. Types of Drugs: Classifications & Effects
This lesson will describe the six major classes of psychoactive drugs, give examples of substances in each class, and explain what they cause a person to experience in the short-term and the long-term.
3. Overview of Psychiatric Drugs: History, Types & Uses
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
4. Drug Interactions With Other Drugs & Activity Within the Body
Drugs can affect your body in quite a few ways. You'll learn about how they affect you and how they interact with one another to affect you by learning about tolerance, cross-tolerance, the additive effect, synergism, potentiation, and antagonism.
5. Routes of Drug Administration: Oral, Topical, Inhalation & Injection
The way by which illicit drugs can be administered or taken into the body are numerous. These routes include the oral route, transdermal, inhalation, and intravenous injection.
6. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
7. How Drugs Affect the Brain & Nervous System
Have you ever wondered how and why drugs affect the brain? This lesson goes over the basics of major drug classes and how they cause the central nervous system, namely the brain, to malfunction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Lifetime Health: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 1: Health & Your Wellness
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 2: Skills for a Healthy Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 3: Self-Esteem & Mental Health
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 4: Managing Stress & Coping with Loss
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 5: Preventing Violence & Abuse
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 6: Physical Fitness for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 7: Nutrition for Life
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 8: Weight Management & Eating Behaviors
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 10: Alcohol
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 11: Tobacco
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 12: Illegal Drugs
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 13: Preventing Infectious Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 14: Lifestyle Diseases
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 15: Other Diseases & Disabilities
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 16: Adolescence & Adulthood
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 17: Marriage, Parenthood & Families
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 18: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Development
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 19: Building Responsible Relationships
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 20: Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Holt Lifetime Health Chapter 21: HIV & AIDS